Monday, December 01, 2008

Advent

Since I'm not actively involved in a church right now, I'm missing a few traditional things like lighting the Advent candles. I'm not missing the Advent song we've been singing for the last few years. Really not missing that at all.

I am, however, writing for my Pour Out a Blessing blog and I'm looking at the Christmas story. Every day is plotted to look at a different part of that story.

While we treat this season as preparation for Christmas, Advent has long been celebrated as preparation for the Second Coming of the Messiah. The Latin word, "Adventus" is the translation of the Greek Word, "Parousia," which commonly refers to the Second Coming.

I've always been so focused on Christmas preparations during this time, that I never really thought about the return of Christ. However, that's what is the most exciting thing of being a Christian for me! We have hope beyond the expectations of our daily lives. Hope of an eternity, hope of a new heaven and a new earth, hope that places us in the throne room of God.

So, while I'm thankful to not have to sing the song "Waiting, Waiting" anymore, I really am waiting. I am waiting for His return.

This is a joyful time of year as we decorate and purchase gifts, bake goodies and greet each other with Christmas spirit.

O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.

O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
Who orderest all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
And teach us in her ways to go.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory over the grave.

O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.

O come, Thou Root of Jesse’s tree,
An ensign of Thy people be;
Before Thee rulers silent fall;
All peoples on Thy mercy call.

O come, Desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind;
Bid Thou our sad divisions cease,
And be Thyself our King of Peace.

No comments: