Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cats & Dogs ... and the Love Chapter

Today as I was trying to work on memorizing Greek noun declensions, my cat walked up to me and started making noise (trying to get my attention). I dropped my hand down to my side so that I could scratch his head and giggled as I thought, "Love does not insist on its own way."

Well, the distraction had occurred and my mind took off

From 1 Corinthians 13.

My cat is never patient and not particularly kind. He doesn't really care about anyone else, so envy doesn't enter in. Again, he doesn't care what anyone thinks, so he doesn't have to boast. But, he is proud, he saunters through a room and expects to be paid attention to ... on his terms. He is rude - always interrupting, yakking wherever he likes (middle of the night jaunts through the house require slippers sometimes). He is quite self-seeking ... no one in the house matters as much as he does and he makes his needs known quite loudly. Easily angered? Try simply walking past him and he will hiss and bat at you with little to no provocation. Fortunately he has a cat's small brain, his record-keeping (of wrongs) lasts for just a short time, but in that short time he will remember and he will punish you. I don't know that he's capable of evil, but he's definitely capable of nasty and if truth means 'his way,' then he rejoices in that. He protects his space, rarely trusts that we won't hurt him, hopes that I will care for him beyond his nastiness and when he wants something, he perseveres until he gets it ... or at least has driven me to distraction.

On the other hand, there is my dog.

She is patient - always patient. Her loving-kindness extends to anyone that comes near her. However, she is quite envious and does not like it when I give any attention to the cat. She isn't boastful or proud and rudeness is not part of her nature. She is not self-seeking and I've never seen her angry. Record of wrongs? Well, I've seen that a couple of times. She doesn't like it when I get mad at her and will show me by ignoring me and hanging close to Max, but within a day ... it's all gone. My dog loves everything good and ignores the bad. She would protect me, completely trusts me, is always hopeful that good things are coming her way and she perseveres through all things.

I don't know that I've ever applied 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 to my animals before ... but it seemed like a good idea today.

No comments: