Saturday, December 12, 2009

Giving and the Grinch!

So far, so good.

Got the car washed. My goodness, it was in bad shape and I even washed it last weekend, well ... Monday! By Wednesday, the storm and driving through the mess had me to the point of holding myself far away from the car so I didn't get dirt all over myself. You know how I love my Jeep - I like to have it looking pretty, too! (I know ... I know)

After that I went to Hy-Vee. I intend to do crazed holiday baking this next week. Everyone else and their daughter, granddaughter, grandmother, mother, and a few male type figures (whom I figure were only there under duress) were purchasing baking necessities today as well. When I walked past, there were only 3 packages left of brown sugar, I had to beg the guy stocking the shelves to find mini marshmallows for me, he was shoving flour on the shelves as quickly as possible and the chocolate chips were nearly gone. All of the shelves were depleted in the baking aisle. He was working as quickly as humanly possible!

I suppose after that crazy week we had and then a Saturday that people could actually move around the city, everyone was desperate to get started on their baking.

As I walked around the store, it felt wonderful to be a part of the excitement. It happens every year about this time, people feel good about what they are doing. Maybe it's the fact that for the most part we are thinking of others. We're buying gifts for someone else, we're baking for family and friends, neighbors and coworkers, we're focused on so many things other than ourselves. And it feels great!

That's the feeling that struck me today as I was watching people interact in the aisles. Oh, they were jammed with carts and boxes/pallets that needed to be stocked in the shelves. People were backing up and getting out of aisles they didn't actually need to be in and trying to avoid running into each other, but there was a sense of camaraderie rather than competitiveness.

It didn't hurt that the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who were moving through the store hugging and greeting customers with big smiles. How in the world do you maintain any kind of attitude other than surprise and glee with that happening around you!

But, today I wasn't in the store because I had to buy groceries for myself. I was there because I had made a list of items I needed to create gifts for others. Every item on that list will be blended to make treats and goodies to serve at a party, to share with neighbors. Nothing will be for myself (except the stuff I snitch as I bake).

Giving it away. That's just the best feeling of all.

No comments: