Monday, April 05, 2010

The Day After

One of the things Mark (Pastor Mark Holland, Gretna UMC) talked about in his sermon on Sunday morning was 'the day after.' The day after the crucifixion, all of Jesus' followers were lost. They only saw His death, that's all they could think about.

I remember the days after Mom's death and then Dad's death quite clearly. There was a lot of activity in those days, but the stunning shock of loss was overwhelming at times. I remember the day after Insty-Prints closed. I remember the day after hearing that we would be moving when I was growing up. I remember the day after hearing that Mom had cancer or the day after finding out that Carol had a tumor (benign, but still required surgery). I remember those hideous days when all you can think about is sorrow, loss, tragedy, everything seems bleak.

Today is the day after the Resurrection. This is the day when the disciples and Jesus' followers were trying to find each other to share the good news! They couldn't wait to tell everyone that He actually had conquered death and was back with them, walking and talking!

I remember the day after I made Jesus a part of my life, the day I got my first job, the day after I moved into my first apartment, the day after I got my dog, the day after I was married, the day after I realized I was accepted into seminary. The good news filled me with excitement and anticipation!

There was a very short period of time between the crucifixion and the resurrection. Though it may have seemed like it would never end for Jesus' followers, it did finally give way to something absolutely incredible.

When we are faced with destruction and sorrow, anger, bitterness, betrayal, pain, sickness, death, we have hope that those are here for just a short time. We can release the emotions and move into a resurrection of our spirit.

There have been nearly two thousand years following the Resurrection. Jesus conquered death and sorrow, pain and sickness by bursting forth with life. This 'day after' has not ended yet.

When I face my own dark moments, I think it's important to remember that I am in the 'day after' the Resurrection not the day after the crucifixion.

1 comment:

Beccah said...

oooh I love that last statement I seriously need to tatooo that on my forehead!