Monday, June 04, 2012

Count Your Blessings

The other morning I woke up singing an old hymn.

Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your blessings, see what God has done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your many blessings, see what God has done.

I wondered what had been going on in my dreams that brought me to that song, but it seemed like a good way to start the day.  I showered and then decided that I needed a little bit of time away from my normal day, so I got in the car and drove.

I hadn't gotten too far up the gravel road, when I saw a deer nibbling on fresh corn leaves in a field. I stopped for a few minutes to watch and pretty soon, he (she?) came closer to the fenceline.  I moved forward so as to continue watching and the deer moved again.  Pretty soon, one of us had to make a decision.  Either I moved on, or the poor deer did, but just at that point, he turned to look at me.  I had rolled the car window down to see if I could capture a picture, so I did just that, told him 'good morning' and drove on. The picture stinks - he was too far away for my camera phone - I really need to remember to take my real camera when I decide to go for a drive.


Just down the road another half mile, a beautiful cardinal rose up out of the ditch and as I was watching that glorious red color in awe, a cluster of birds flew up in front of me.  More cardinals and several goldfinches. It was glorious!  I felt like color was exploding in front of me.

All I could think about was the fact that I was experiencing an awful lot of those blessings in a few short minutes.

But, there was one more.  I hadn't yet gotten off the gravel road (which is only a 2 /12 mile stretch) and I came to a stop again.  A gorgeous male pheasant was standing at the top of the ditch, resplendent in his color.  I slowed to take it all in and was thankful for the many blessings that fill my day.

No comments: