Friday, January 18, 2013

My First Novel

The day has finally arrived.  It's one of those days I thought would never get here, but it has.  I've published my first novel - All Roads Lead Home.



The characters are no longer simply wandering around in my mind and the words aren't sitting in a digital file on my computer. They're out there ... in the real world ... waiting to be read by you!

It's a fun story about a girl who returns to Iowa after living in Boston for fourteen years. She finds out how much she missed the good life that can be found in the Midwest.

Polly Giller purchases an old schoolhouse in a small town named Bellingwood with her inheritance and in the midst of renovating it, meets wonderful people and makes new friends.  But, that's not all.  A fake ceiling gives way and two sets of bones come crashing to the floor, a hidden root cellar reveals a huge stash of pop culture paraphernalia from the years the school was open and she comes face to face with the reason she ended up leaving Boston in the first place.

In all of the overwhelming stress of these events, as well as trying to get work done on the old schoolhouse, Polly's new friends show love and compassion in ways she'd forgotten existed.

Lydia Merritt shows up with three other women to welcome Polly to Bellingwood and into their hearts.  She is a woman filled with great love and passion. Beryl Watson is a wild and outspoken woman who is a renowned artist. Andy Saner is a quiet woman who used to teach in the old school and Sylvie Donovan is a young, single mom raising two boys.

Henry Sturtz, the contractor who has been hired by Polly might have a bit of a crush on his boss, her two young Jedi Knights, Doug Randall and Billy Endicott will do anything for her, while Sheriff Aaron Merritt, Lydia's husband, is a solid force who believes in doing the right thing.

These characters have found a place in my heart and I've fallen in love with them.  There are more stories to tell and more books to come (Book Two in April 2013).

Join Polly's Facebook page, buy the book (there's a bonus short story at the end), and have fun reading about real Iowa people who love to be with each other and find ways to take care of each other.

I'm excited!  I hope you are as well!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Diane! Congratulations!! I am so excited for and so proud of you!! What an extraordinary accomplishment. I am honored that you allowed me to be a small part of your process... thank you!! (PS: This is the third time I've tried to post a comment...I hope there aren't three versions of this that are going to suddenly appear on your blog!)