Monday, February 05, 2007

Day 3 ... A good day

“I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.” Psalm 59:16

I can't wait to go to work in the morning! Who'd've thought. But, I'm not sleeping at night because I'm thinking of fun things that need to happen and things that I want to do at work. This is awesome! My stress level rises up and down during the day, but it's all good! I enjoy it so much!

But ... mornings! What's that about? I spent 5 months staying up until 2-3 in the morning, waking up at 6 to let the animals out and feed them, and then sleeping until 10:00. It was amazing. I'm nocturnal! And now that I'm back to work, I have to get up early so that I can function during the hours that the rest of the world is awake! There's something so wrong with that for me!

All through the Psalms, I discover David praising God for meeting him in the morning. And just yesterday, I got a response from Back to the Bible to a survey I filled out. One of the things they discovered (from 14,000 respondents) was that "those that prefer to read the Bible in the morning are significantly more likely to read it five to seven times a week." Wow! That says something to me. I'm not sure exactly what, because I don't necessarily want to hear that I need to get up any earlier in the morning.

However, my joy in my new job, is that I can have my Bible open on my desk and read it at any point during the day. When I get to work in the morning, I don't have to feel guilty for taking 10-15 minutes to spend with God, reading His Word and praying. For me, there's nothing better than working in the ministry. I was fortunate to own my own business and have the flexibility of actually being a Christian in the workplace without fear of reprisals. But, working in a place where being a Christian is pretty much required? That makes me happy. God has been very good to me and I'm thankful to Him regularly.

This evening I taught Lesson 5 of the Revelation Study. It was all about sacrifice and worship. As I wrote the lesson, I was learning so much about the interaction of those two pieces. As I taught the lesson the first time, I heard what I was speaking and actually was learning again. Tonight, I was impacted all over again. That tells me that God had something to say to me, even though this is a lesson that I'm teaching!

Sacrifice and Worship were inextricably intertwined for the Israelites. To worship was to sacrifice. We've turned it into something hideous. Worship is no longer about sacrificing ourselves, but is all about what we can get when we go to church. However, in God's eyes, it continues to be about sacrifice. We get so wrapped up in our worlds, in our stuff, in our lives, that we avoid church for one reason or another. It becomes all about us. At what point do we sacrifice anything to enter into worship in the throne room. When do we acknowledge that our Creator is worthy of everything we have to offer. When do we recognize that we have nothing to offer to Him that He hasn't first given us, except for our worship. How can we deny him that?

So ... tomorrow morning, I'll get to work, open my Bible and read, pray and worship. And I'll be so glad that I have been given the gift of life so that I can worship God.

1 comment:

Jacqniel said...

I am so glad you are enjoying your work at the church. I have always thought working at a church would have to be incredibly difficult. There are so many people to please - so many different personalities.
I pray that your spirit will continued to be lifted up - and that you will find joy each day in your work.