Saturday, July 21, 2007

The thing about God ...

...is He is bigger than me. Whew!

I should be sleeping right now - tomorrow morning is coming early. However, "Little Miss Sunshine" was on tonight and I knew that I wanted to see it, so I stayed alert. I'm so glad I did. What a riot. I had to bury my face in the pillow while I was laughing so that I wouldn't wake Max up. Ok, and my laughter seems to upset the animals. They can't discern whether it's laughter or tears. I guess they assume tears.

Absolutely one of the strangest families I've ever seen, but as I watched, they showed more love to each other than many 'normal' families I experience today. Part of that love was tolerance for each other no matter what they had experienced and were dealing with. When pain is as great as it can be, the hug of a small child is what is required to bring reality back to the situation.

We make such a big deal out of things. We try to analyze, we offer opinions, we pay for therapy. Sometimes all it takes is giving a little bit of time and a little bit of affection. The simple things. We make it so difficult.

I know it's Hollywood and way oversimplified, but this movie has me thinking a lot about love and families and interactions with other people. All of their 'stuff' was right out there in the open. And in the end, they loved each other because of all of that 'stuff'.

We bury all of our 'stuff'. Or at least do our very best to hide it and put our best foot forward. There is absolutely nothing real about us anymore. No wonder we don't trust anyone to actually love us. No wonder we are always suspicious. If we're hiding this much 'stuff', obviously everyone else is!

All of my life, I've known that God knows everything about me. For some people that is very scary. For me, it's been quite comforting. Scripture tells me that I can't hide from Him. Thank goodness! At least there is one place in my life where all of my reality is laid bare. You see, I know that God created me. I know that He loves me. I know that He sent His Son to rescue me from myself and from the world. I know that there is nowhere to hide. I am so thankful for that.

The next step is for me to trust everyone else as much as I trust Him. It probably won't happen too soon, but give me time!

No comments: