Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mediocrity?

I'm back in "downpour" by James MacDonald. It occurs to me that an awful lot of authors are talking about personal revival. When I read "Come Thirsty" by Max Lucado last fall, I was impacted by the words "quenching thirst". I am (we are?) desperate to fill up this dried out life that I seem to live and to be living fully through God. More than anything! Why is it so difficult? (that's a rhetorical question).

I haven't even gotten out of the introduction yet. Alright, I'm also trying to figure out whether I want to write all over this book (which is what the author intended) or if I should find another way to write out the answers to the questions he poses so that I can share this book with others when I am finished. This is a crisis for me! (hehe) When I'm moved by something, I share it with others. However, I suppose that I could just buy a few more copies of the book. When I fell in love with Brennan Manning's "Ragamuffin Gospel", I went through at least 10 copies of the book. (If you haven't read that - do so!). Oh well, I will figure it out ...

So today, we begin with prayer ... MacDonald writes one out for me to begin with and then asks me to continue my prayer.

...Thank you for the promise that if I draw near to You, You will draw near to me.

Lord, help me to remember that: ...my life is a gift from You! ...You wouldn't have placed me on this earth without a plan for me. ...Your plan for me is so much greater than anything I could dream up on my own.

Teach me to trust You when: ...it feels like I'm failing. ...no one is paying any attention to what I want to share about You. ...life is mundane and I think it's my fault.

Forgive me for: ... my arrogance. ...for not believing that EVERYTHING is possible with You. ... for thinking that I can control things on my own.

Lord, I remember when our relationship was like: ... a first love. Everything was so exciting and new. I couldn't wait to open my Bible. I knew that every word in there was a conversation with You. when I couldn't wait to see my friends because we were all talking about what You were doing in our lives. I wasn't cynical about what You could do in my life and I knew that I could do everything with You!

I want that back again. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: