Tuesday, April 22, 2008

14 Years Ago

14 years ago tonight I was at Bell's Dell preparing to get married to Max. We had only known each other for a few short months and most of that time was spent on the telephone. I had met him in person in March, then again when I flew to Charlotte (NC) to load up the UHaul with all his stuff and move him back to Omaha - just a week prior to the wedding.

But, God really worked in this relationship. He worked through my fears and He worked through all of the insanity that can come from marrying a man you barely know.

President Nixon died 14 years ago today. Max and I couldn't come up with something special that had happened on April 23. But, we didn't have Wikipedia then. Today I can tell you that William Shakespeare was born on our anniversary as were Shirley Temple, Roy Orbison, William Penn and Stephen A. Douglas. In 1985 on April 23, Coca-Cola introduced New Coke, which was replaced by the original formula three months later. The first public school in the United States was founded on April 23 in Boston - Boston Latin - 1635.

I love the 'dates in history' part of Wikipedia. It's great fun.

Max and I communicated online for quite a long time. I wish that I had kept more of his emails and the long online chats that we had. I have no idea where they've all gone, but I'm certain that I will never see them again. I printed one letter that he sent to me on January 28, 1994. The subject line: "Feelings grow for you."

Oh my, I was desperately hoping for more time before I met him face to face. I was terrified. He was just as adamant about doing it as soon as possible.

"Our heart to heart last night had me thinking strongly about all I would need to do here at my end to see a loving commitment through with you as my wife.

"I realize and understand you felt we should take a long to know each other before we rush into the serious commitment of marriage. I fully empathise with your concerns based upon past misfirings with othe rmen you met by this 'modern method.'"

He didn't let me off the hook ... he kept encouraging me.

"What prompted this is we have been talking seriously about what kind of marriage we envision, children you name it (hahahahahah - Diane's aside). I am getting the feeling that this is not some mere fantasy infatuation - I feel the Lord in his wisdom is pointing the way for us. It is for us to see if this is part of his plan or not. But providence has a way of being inevitable. I have been thinking that perhaps you are the reason God brought me to North Carolina, which eventually led me to meeting Jay (Max's friend) and using his computer to meet you.

"I have prayed for help in the past 6 months for God to help me finally find a woman who is truly right and good for me, by whatever means he chooses to do so. I can't help but think my prayers are being answered.

"I sincerely hope that reading this letter has not brought you undue stress, but has brought you joy in knowing my thoughts are honorable.

"The rest, dear Lady is up to you. You would not believe how much writing this makes me feel a little anxious, but it is one more example of the risks I have been willing to make to move my life on, in whatever direction it must go."

So, obviously, we got married a few short months later. The last 14 years have been up and down and back and forth. Things have happened to us, around us, with us and I can not imagine that there is a man alive that would have been a better choice for a husband for me.

Max is truly wonderful. He is honorable. He is loving and kind. He cares more about me than he does himself and is more than willing to give up everything to make me happy. All I can do is honor that relationship by doing the same for him. God has given me an incredible gift and tonight as I think back to that young (er) couple that had no idea what to do with the idea of marrying a stranger, I realize that only God could have brought this marriage together. I'm so glad that I waited.

No comments: