Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Astronomy dork wannabe

I have always loved the night sky, but I have also been wholly intimidated by those that know it so well. So, learning about the stars was one of those things I put off until I had plenty of time to absorb all of the knowledge I wanted to ensure that I had. I can find the Dippers and some of the other constellations if pushed, but I really don't have much information to share about the glories of the galaxy. However, I am an addict for deep space photos and anything that NASA wants to share with me.

One of the things that I waited and waited and waited for was enough money to purchase a telescope so that I could see beyond what the naked eye can view.

Amazon sent a coupon to me for a telescope and when I clicked through to the product, discovered a simple item that was inexpensive and with their discount found that I could purchase it for $29.95. Now, this telescope is no big deal and I'm not going to discover any comets or asteroids plummeting towards earth. I'm not going to change the world of astronomy or anything like that. I decided, however, that if I was every going to do this, now was the time, this was the telescope and I was going to sit in the meadow at Bell's Dell in the middle of the night and look at the stars.

The package just showed up at my front door and I am leaving this afternoon for the cabin. You have to believe that when it gets dark tonight, I will be taking my Jeep down to the meadow (I need a flat surface) and spending time with my telescope.

I can hardly wait. In fact, I got a little teary-eyed when I opened the package. This is just one of the portions of God's creations that I haven't taken the time to explore and I'm really excited! My brother says he has a nice telescope that hasn't gotten too much use. Huh ... he has a very nice backyard to look at the night sky. It's dark where he lives when the lights go out at night. So, who knows what information I'll have when next we chat. Maybe nothing ... maybe I'm just going to enjoy fields of stars and the beauty of the planets.

Maybe someday I'll be an astronomy dork ... instead of just a dork wannabe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the clear sky out in bell's Dell-sometime you'll have me up there and I can point out constelaltions for you:)