Saturday, November 14, 2009

Where to Start

I feel like it's time to start writing here again, but really have no idea where to start. So, I'm guessing I'll just blather at you for awhile and see what comes from it.

What's been going on?
A lot of good stuff. I've taken two classes from University of Phoenix online. Two Comparative Religion courses. The first was based on the Eastern religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, etc.) and through the last class I have studied Judaism, Christianity and Islam. I know this won't surprise you, but I was actually teaching the professor stuff about Judaism and Christianity.

My purpose for taking the class was to fully expose myself to Islam and I've done just that. What a fascinating religion. I have learned a lot and feel like I'm in a better position to actually speak clearly to Muslims I meet about their faith. It upsets me that militant and extremist Muslims as well as an out of control media have given us such a terrible impression of these people. Fear will cause more bigotry and hatred than anything else. We have become fearful.

I also continue to learn about how I like to learn. It will be interesting to get myself back into a classroom. This was an experiment for me - I wanted to ensure that I could actually learn in a structured environment again. For heaven's sake, it's been nearly 30 years since I've been in a classroom. I love the online experience, I do not love the Learning Teams that Univ. of Phoenix insists happen in their classes - that's just plain stupid. We'll see what happens for me over the next few years.

A lot of work has been happening at the cabin. This week the electrical work and the heat were finally finished. It's amazing. Now, I need to wrangle a handyman to do some insulation and other small jobs around there and I'll feel great about the place. It's such a great place to think, write, study, read, be lazy, walk, be at peace. I'm thankful my parents saw the possibilities and the future for our family here.

What's coming up?
Well, lots of fun!!! This next week I'm heading to Chicago to see "Young Frankenstein" with my college roommate. I haven't seen her in years (nearly 30 again). What a great day that will be. And the day after Thanksgiving I'm heading back to Sigourney (where I graduated from high school) to hang out with a bunch of classmates for a 50+ birthday party. It occurred to a few of them that all of us have been turning 50 in a flash these last couple of years. And painful as it is to all of us, I guess it's a great reason to have a party.

Max will take pictures, I'll probably cry as I hook up with people I haven't seen for a long time, we'll drive around town and I'll cry some more as I travel through memories that meant a lot to me. Hmmm, better pack a box of kleenexes.

Ok, that feels good. I've actually posted some words out here again.

No comments: