Thursday, March 04, 2010

Comfort in the Psalms

Today has been a weird, emotional day for me. I realized at one point that people can't be the ones to take care of me through some of my emotional ups and downs and began to wonder how I was going to be able to move past it to get back to a sense of normalcy.

My Bible sits beside me all day as I work. Depending on the project I'm studying and researching, I might spend quite a bit of time digging through it for answers. This book is the one constant in my life beyond all other things.

While I am confident that God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow and I am fully confident that He cares for me and wants to comfort me, sometimes I need something tangible. His words in scripture are that tangible sense of Him in my life.

Over the last years, I've gotten to know this book better and better and I know where I will be able to find comfort. (I also know where I'm going to find challenges, beatings and discipline as well as love, joy and excitement.)

Today I needed these words from Psalm 3:1-8. I am always thankful that God is my shield - He is your shield as well. He has battled more enemies than I can imagine and always been successful. He is my deliverer.

O Lord, how many are my foes!
How many rise up against me!
Many are saying of me, 'God will not deliver him.'

But you are a shield around me,
O Lord, my Glorious One, who lifts up my head.
To the Lord I cry aloud and
he answers me from his holy hill.

I lie down and sleep;
I wake again,
because the Lord sustains me.
I will not fear the tens of thousands
drawn up against me on every side.

Arise, O Lord!
Deliver me, O my God!
For you have struck all my enemies on the jaw;
you have broken the teeth of the wicked.

Form the Lord comes deliverance.
May your blessing be on your people.

No comments: