Monday, March 01, 2010

It's late ... and this is random

Well, I did it. I managed to post every day during the month of February. There were a few days I struggled with having anything interesting to say ... at all. But, I posted anyway. Sometimes it is just important to do what you say you are going to do.

Everything I've been reading about the creative process encourages me along those lines. Just do what you are going to do. Some days you will write garbage, some days you will get a FEW good lines written and then there are those glorious days when a large percentage of what hits the computer keyboard is good stuff. Even on the days when it's all garbage, though ... you can't stop.

I'm not terribly sure what March is going to bring, but I am going to do my best to get thoughts written down one way or the other. I'll just apologize up front for the garbage that you might be subjected to. I've come to understand during this last year as I've rediscovered a lot of who I am, that there are a lot of things I just can't share with the world. Those things are much too personal. But, heck ... there are way too many days that I don't actually do or see or read anything interesting. Believe it!

There have actually been a few days when I've scoured my geek blogs and news sites for interesting information that might trigger a response from my brain. And on those days, nothing at all seems interesting. Hardly seems fair, doesn't it! This is a world, though, where having 500 channels of television does not guarantee that there is anything on to watch. Having an internet filled with information doesn't guarantee that there is anything that will interest me enough to share captivating insights.

OH!!! I have been reading a book: "Planet Google: One Company's Audacious Plan to Organize Everything We Know" by Randall Stross. In this book he talks about the beginning of the Web. It was introduced in 1991, two years later, less than 1/2 of 1 percent of all Internet traffic was web pages - the rest was email, file transfers and news groups. There were only about 130 websites. In 1994, there were 2700 websites, but this was still only 6% of internet traffic. By 1998, the Web had so many sites that searching required highly sophisticated search engines. Think about the rapidity of that growth. Information was exploding! What an insane time of life that was.

In reality, it still is insane. The amount of information and knowledge that we have access to is incredible. Let me tell you, for someone like me, this is a dream come true. Tonight at dinner, we were talking about the movie "Footloose." The question arose about the year when it came out. Within seconds, I had the information on my Blackberry (because that really isn't information I maintain in my brain - sorry! Oh ... and 1984 was the answer). Immediate access to information. Absolutely incredible.

It's late ... I should be sleeping, or at least reading before I fall asleep.

I've enjoyed writing this last month and I look forward to what March is going to bring. I'm going to do my best to write nearly every day. I hope you will join me!

No comments: