Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Nothing much

Today I needed to read a portion of two books.  I was to read three chapters in the first book and about 18 pages in the second.  Yup, managed to flip that around.  And by the time I was well into the wrong book, I realized what I had done.  I tried to get my head wrapped around the concepts in book two so that I could go for the entire three chapters and had to just give up.  This is way too much information to process quickly.  Absolutely nothing like a good mystery novel!

The last few days have been spent intensely memorizing Greek so that I can pass online quizzes with some sense of achievement.  Wow.  The thing is, I can get this stuff memorized, but unless I practically live with it every day, it fades pretty quickly.  But, I love it, love it, love it ... so I'm pretty motivated!

Combines, gleaners, tractors and other assorted farm machinery has been rumbling up and down the road today.  The farmers are working like crazy to get harvest finished.  It's such a glorious thing to watch happen.  I love the precision with which they maintain their land.  Just incredible. 

When I was growing up, I always told mom that there were two types of men I did NOT want to marry:  preachers and farmers.  I knew what living with a preacher was like and I didn't want anything to do with it.  Most of my friends grew up on farms and I knew how hard they worked.  I wanted nothing to do with that either! 

But, I have to admit that spending time traveling back and forth through Iowa farm land, watching the crops go in during the spring and come out in the fall, I have a great appreciation for the beauty of that job.  Oh, it's still darned hard work, but at the same time, these guys LOVE their great big machines.  Good heavens, the numbers of these immense pieces of machinery that I see traveling back and forth on the interstate tells me how many are being sold.  Pretty cool.

Yup, I love watching farming happen in Iowa.  It's still probably a good thing I didn't marry one ... I would have hated for him to be angry at me when I made him do all the work. (hehe)

Words have run out of my brain and aren't replenishing as quickly as I'd like ... so tonight I'm just going to stop and either read a mystery or watch some television.  Yup, that works for me!

No comments: