Sunday, March 25, 2007

Seven Favorite Songs

I was tagged by Jacque to name my 7 favorite songs. This might just make my brain seize up! Fortunately, it's my blog and I can expound as I like. Because, you see ... there is no possible way for me to limit my lifetime musical experience to 7 songs. I don't know if I could even limit it to seven artists or composers! But, here's where I'll start:

1. 2nd Chapter of Acts and Annie Herring. This Christian group from the 70s and early 80s transformed the way I approached Christian music. Beautiful 3-part harmony. The first time I sang this, I was in 7th grade. We sang "The Son Comes over the Hill". I could barely sing, I was so wrapped up in the harmonies. They quit singing together and Annie Herring moved off on her own. She leads worship and still writes the songs that God gives to her.

2. Israel Houghton and New Breed. Their music is some of the most innovative and spiritual stuff I've heard in a long time. The chords that this guy can dream up! You know a lot of his music. "I am a Friend of God" is pretty popular. In fact, our praise band did lead that this morning in worship. I can't listen to his music without wanting to dance and lift my soul to heaven!

3. Tommy Walker's music is another style that is closer to pop. He can LEAD worship. "He Knows My Name" is one of his good ones. I took you to myspace on that link. But, there are 4 of his songs there.

4. Travis Cottrell is another of my favorites. He leads worship for Beth Moore. The boy is amazing! And, he's cute. The first time I experienced worship under his leadership, I was swept away in the excellence. Two of my favorites that he has led are "We Shall Dance" and "In Christ Alone".

5. Rich Mullins wipes me out! He died in a terrible car crash several years ago and I feel like we lost one of the most influential musicians in the 20/21st century. But, the impact of his music is still being felt. "Our God is an Awesome God" is his. The "Songs" Album is my favorite. I listen to this and weep until the end.

I tried to move past Christian music and I kept thinking of more artists that I loved. You see, I listen to music all of the time and it has impacted me for my entire life! I can not listen to music and do other things, though I am a celebrated multi-tasker. When music is playing, I have to stop and listen to it. I can have television on in the background while I'm working on other stuff ... but, music just commands me to stop and listen.

I only have two spots left and there's absolutely no way I can finish this well. I could go forever and ever! So ...

6. 70s Rock and Roll. I'm an old rocker. That's all there is to it. And the stuff from the 70s is my life. YES, Styx, Kansas, Boston, Rush, Queen, Journey, Foreigner, Pink Floyd ... the list goes on and on. The pop stuff? Oh yea ... I love that too. Bread, Three Dog Night, and then there's Earth, Wind and Fire - these guys touch the inner parts of my soul. Ach! How do I limit this?

7. Classical. I didn't grow up with the radio on - mom and dad hated pop music. So, my days as a child were filled with classical music. Beethoven's Symphonies, Bach, Chopin, Debussy. I played all of this on the piano in high school for various contest pieces and though I don't play it that well anymore, it has remained a part of me. I can work while this music is playing because it is already embedded into my synapses. I love the Russian Masters - Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Rimsky-Korsakoff ... I love it all!

So, no, I wasn't terribly specific on this and I suppose I should apologize. But, this is my world! As I read the scriptures, I find that music is on nearly every page. God gave Jubal the harp in Genesis - and right after that happened, people began worshiping God by name. Music and worship are inextricably linked. I can't imagine it being any other way!

No comments: