Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Black Helicopters, Christmas Lights and Italians

See, here's the deal. If you want the weird things in my head, you have to put UP with the weird things in my head. Honestly, if I were to blog all of them, you'd probably be afraid for me. So, we have Canticum Novum rehearsal tonight ... all goes well. I leave. I'm going to Sonic for supper (at 9:30 pm - yup, going to sleep badly tonight). As I turn north on Saddle Creek, I see a Walgreens. "OH! I forgot that was there! Yea!" And I whip in (FYI, the car has not warmed up yet). I get out of the car, head inside for some important things (of which m&ms is included) and am greeted by a creepy Italian who is trying to vacuum the entry way. He promptly looks at the clock on the wall and then again at me. My immediate thought is, "Are you closing?" and I scurry to get what I need and then head for the candy aisle. As I was scurrying, it occurred to me that 9:30 is NOT a normal closing time for a Walgreens and that was weird! So, I slow down. He has just checked another customer out as I walk to the counter with my purchases and is back to vacuuming the entryway. Of course, he's annoyed as he has to walk ALL the way around the counter to get to the cash register. I understand that ... but, hey! So, he starts ringing up my purchases. Another customer walks in - he looks at them and then at the clock on the wall. Another customer walks in - same look. Now, it occurs to me that this is a bad habit of his - he should KNOW the time by this point. Oh, and I know that he's Italian because his name tag reads 'Gino'. All of my candy should be ringing up at 2/$4.00 or 2/$5.00, but he didn't bother to enter the proper codes and has to re-do everything, all the time telling me what a favor he's doing for me. When I thank him, he responds with 'That's what I'm here for.' And yes, that conversation occurred more than once.

There's the Italian.

From Walgreens, I went to Sonic - addiction to Strawberry Limeades is becoming quite prominent. Then, the drive home. The car is finally warming up - whee!!! I'm driving along, thinking of all of you and the grief I have gotten over not blogging. And, I think to myself, "If I had a way to blog while I'm driving or doing other weird things, you all would be sorry you asked for this!" And, I giggled.

I turned from Farnam on to 52nd Street and was startled by the Christmas lights that were still up. Full-blown Christmas. Really? I know it's too cold to take them down right now, but the last weekend was beautiful? Or ... maybe they are as lazy as Max and I are. Well, less lazy, because they got them up. We didn't even do that!

There are the Christmas lights.

Into the alley and I pulled into the parking space. The car is really toasty by now. Doggone it, I do not want to get out. But, I had coney dogs for Max and I knew that I had warm animals in the house for me. Argh ... here I go. As I opened the door of the car, I heard that noise - the helicopter. I live 10 blocks from the Med Center. I know that the helicopters flying over my house are generally medical flights, but black helicopters that spy on people in their homes is a conspiracy theory that Max and I have laughed over for years. Every time we hear a helicopter above us, we make a comment about them.

There's the black helicopters.

Now, I'm hoping that I have posted enough blogs for one day. If it's not enough, I'll try to be back tomorrow.

I go back and forth between light-hearted romps and deep, spiritual thoughts. If you can't keep up, I apologize. It's how I roll.

No comments: