Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Choices and Consequences

Max picked me up from work at 5:00 and we drove home ... hashing out our day. This is one thing I will miss when we get two cars again. When we first got married, we only had one car and we spent an awful lot of time together in that one car. If we were going to do something, we had to do it together. It was pretty terrific. However, after awhile, we recognized the need for two vehicles. We both had our things to do - work hours no longer coincided, I had activities at church, he had other things going on - we needed two cars, so ... we got the second vehicle. You know what? I hated it! All of that time we had spent together was gone. We were both racing here and there and since we had the time to spend wherever we were at, we used the time doing our activities ... apart. All of a sudden we were spending less time talking to each other and more time passing each other as we did our things.

But, we got used to it and life became convenient. When I got rid of the second car last fall, it really wasn't that big of a deal. Max still wasn't working, we hadn't driven it in a long time and it was just taking up space in the driveway. And no, Cody, don't think for a minute that I want that silly thing back - YIKES NO!

Max and I spent time together talking again - oh, sometimes I babble at him and he just listens (you KNOW that's most of the time), and sometimes (in the dark, early morning) neither of us talk, but we are together. And I like that!

Yes, I'm going to get a second car as soon as we are financially able to do it. I can hardly stand these o-dark-thirty mornings. But I'm going to really miss these forced moments together. When we get home in the evening both of us will be tired from our day and we'll do what we are doing right now - one of us may head upstairs for a nap, or we'll turn the television on and let our minds release the stress of the day, or we'll both get online to ensure that the world didn't collapse around us in the previous 15 minutes. We won't sit in a car and for 15-20 minutes have no other distractions but each other.

As a friend of mine's father says, "Choices and Consequences..."

No comments: