Saturday, January 12, 2008

Shame on the Bad Blogger

Well, goodness! It's been awhile since I've blogged and I should be a little ashamed! And it's Max's fault. Ok, not really, but it's much more fun to blame someone else than to accept responsibility for my own lack of ambition.

I returned to work and work returned to me ... full swing! I hate to complain too much about work, for heaven's sake, that's where a bunch of my readers come from! And it's actually my favorite place to be, but this last week and a half has hit hard! It doesn't help that I have to get up at o-dark-thirty to get there. Right now Max and I are at one vehicle and since he has to be at work at 7:30 in the morning, that means I'm at church by 7:00. That's just wrong! I'm definitely a night person. I had managed to retrain my body to be a night person again over the holidays and kicking it back into shape for the early morning action nearly killed me.

What that meant for my blogging habit was that when I got home at night, I was pooped (yes, I need 8 hours of sleep and when I get only 4 or 5 hours, I tend to use up all of my reserves during the day). By the time Max and I get home in the evening (usually 9:00 or so if I have activities or am out with friends), I'm toast! I have enough energy to sit and talk to him quietly for a little bit and both of us crash by 10:00. The poor dog is becoming quite desperate for a little attention from me!

So ... that's where I've been and though I apologize for my bad blogging this last week and a half, I am determined to not feel guilty. This is my life. I love it.

Activities you ask? Well, this is where the fun comes in. A week ago Friday, (Jan. 4th), Canticum Novum sang for the Northrup Grumman Holiday Party which was held at the Doubletree downtown. We'd had a rehearsal the night before and were ready to sing Christmas songs for a large group. It was an interesting exercise in ... futility. We sang in a large ballroom to a group that was not interested in anything but hanging out with friends and consuming alcohol. Max picked me up at the door when I was finished and since hadn't actually spent time together for several days, we went out to dinner at Taxi's (120th & Blondo). I've known the owners for nearly 15 years. Mac Thompson and Bill Johnette have been in Omaha for years running great restaurants. They owned the Neon Goose (downtown) and YoYo Grille at 120th & Pacific. Bill died on Thanksgiving from cancer and I was glad to get in there and let Mac know that I was thinking about him. Good guys ... great restaurants ... great food.

Max and I had a wonderful evening together - almost romantic!

I crashed like a fool on Saturday - did absolutely nothing productive. Thank you Jesus! Sunday morning I was at church helping to lead worship, lunch with friends and back to church that evening to lead Disciple I Bible Study.

College Football Championship Game. DJ's Dugout. Brook's Sandwich (BLT with a fried tomato). Friends. Ohio State lost. Let's just say I was glad to get home and fall asleep. After work on Tuesday, Max begged to just stay home. Yup! Takeout and crashing. I was asleep by 10:00.

Now that was a weird evening. I fell asleep at 10:00. Just about the time when I was really getting snuggled in and falling into that deep sleep, I was roused by a sound that was vaguely familiar. The back doorbell? No, it couldn't be. But, it had roused me enough to bring me up out of the deep sleep. Within a couple of moments, I heard it again. Yup, it was the back doorbell. I had fallen asleep on the couch with Leica and was praying that she wouldn't react. I certainly wasn't going to head for the door. And then, there was tapping at the back door. Are you kidding me? It was 10:20 pm. I don't answer the door for anyone at that hour. But, Leica reacted. She leaped down and headed to the back door barking and barking.

The kitchen light was on, I went out and turned it off (so I could look out the kitchen window). As I did, the person was getting in their car. It was a female getting in a silver car. Hmmm ... Carol has a silver car - could there be something really wrong and was she needed my help? Why didn't she call me first? I called her immediately and she thought I was nuts. She was home and settling in for the night. Ok ... whew. But, it freaked me out enough that I couldn't get back to sleep for awhile. Another night of sleep condensed to a few hours.

Wednesday night - rehearsals begin again and I'm out to dinner with Fran and Leonard. Fun! And ... we're home late again. Thursday night - Praise Band rehearsal. Home by 8:00 - watched "The Illusionist." (Oh, we got Netflix - I love it!) 10:00 and doggone it, one more short night and then one more day of work. Friday night - drive to the Post Office to drop off a couple of bulk mailings, home to let the dog out (she'd waited 12 hours for that. Good dog!) and back out for dinner with the Neffs. Home by 9:00. A new movie had come in, Max pleaded with me to not watch a movie. Are you kidding? I need sleep!

So, here I am. Saturday morning and I have to get a sermon written for the Saturday night service. I have an idea floating around in my head, but I really need to get some words down on paper ... the minutes are flying by! What did I choose to do first, though? Write all of this down. Nothing profound, nothing spiritual. In fact ... it's a little self-serving. Hmmm ... that doesn't bode well for the rest of the day's writing! Here's hoping (and praying ... a lot) that it gets better than this!

No comments: