Monday, May 26, 2008

How Can I Not Believe?

God doesn't have to do this, but He seems to find ways to prove His existence over and over again to me.

I opened a piece of mail from Priscilla (dad's wife) on Friday when I got home from work. In it was an article by Charles Humeston of the Iowa DNR. He was the warden who investigated my father's accident last May. It was an amazing article and it was fascinating to see the process with which they actually found the accident and then processed through it.

After reading the article, I tried to find a copy of it online and was unsuccessful. But, I did discover that I could email him, so I did. I wanted him to know how I appreciated the work that he had put into the investigation and I wanted him to know a little more about dad. During the course of the investigation, he had spoken to my cousin several times.

But, the paragraph that wiped me out was this:

The investigation of the accident was the product of many law enforcement officers from other departments, and of the staff of Brushy Creek Recreation Area. I want you to know we made every possible effort to find your father and uncle as soon as possible. I only wish the outcome had been different. I hope it gives you a measure of comfort to know that once we found them we stood vigil until the paramedics removed them from the area, and your father and uncle were never left alone. A few years ago I trusted Jesus Christ to be my Lord and Savior, and it is my hope that influences how I do my job. I prayed over both your father and uncle and for all of you. It is my prayer you all felt His love and comfort through that difficult time.

From the moment this man discovered that there was a problem, he began praying. And God put the families of those two men on his heart immediately and he was praying for us as we discovered what the reality of the news was.

In my original email to him, I didn't say the one thing that I needed to tell him. And that was how Dad had lived his life and the fact that I am sure that Dad's last words were, "Thank you Jesus." So, I wrote to him once more, to tell him of Dad's impact on the hundreds of people that he brought to Jesus.

God draws us together through His Son, Jesus. How can I not believe in a God who reminds me over and over of us love for me?

No comments: