Thursday, May 29, 2008

Where Everyone Knows Your Name

I always wanted to have a local bar ... where I was comfortable and people knew me. Where I could walk in and say hello ... grab some food and stay as long as I wanted without feeling like I was being rushed through dinner.

Now, over the years, I've become a familiar face in several restaurants throughout Omaha, but tonight I experienced something akin to what I've been looking for.

Fran & Leonard, Carol, Max and I went to a brand new joint called "Jimi D's." It's on Center Street - right around 63rd - where the old McDonald's was. Lots of open space, contemporary decor and an Italian casual menu. We sat down at a table and began one of the best evenings ever. Amazing food, great staff, comfortable chairs, reasonable prices, family owned (read: local, not a franchise), interesting looking clientele (obviously students and family of the owners). We got there about 6:45 and left at 9:45. We paid our bill and then decided to have dessert later. We fell in love with our waitress, who was genuinely happy to take care of us.

I tried a few new things - have you ever had pickled celery, carrots and cauliflower? Wow ... they've got it. I had an orange cream canoli for dessert. Their cheesecake? Pass out and die. We couldn't stand it - all of us just started sharing our food around the table. We wanted to try everything. Homemade cream of mushroom soup with a wine base. Sausage and navy bean soup. I can't begin to tell you how terrific the food was.

The best part? They have Pepsi products and I can have a mountain dew. Whee!!!

As we walked out, Fran said, "I think we just found our local bar." Leonard, who was walking out with Max and didn't hear that said on the way out, "I think I just found our local bar." Ummm ... yup. We will be welcomed back the next time we walk in. They will remember us. But, whether or not they do, I'm absolutely certain that we will receive the same awesome service. And we will feel like we are hanging out with family.

So, if you want to eat out with me ... come on in to central Omaha - we'll hang out at Jimi D's and I'll introduce you to some excellent food and a comfortable home. I can't wait to get to know all of their names!

No comments: