Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Positive Day

Today was "Positive Day" at work.

We have been under a lot of stress lately and when that happens, it is so easy to spend more time sniping and complaining than getting work done. Since I had to be at work at 7 am, I decided to declare the day "Positive Day." I sent out an email to the staff and I made up signs to hang on everyone's door.

Pastor Craig's comment: "If you're not a positive person, it's difficult to have a 'positive day.'" Hmmm ... was he talking about himself or someone else. Whatever, he was told to be positive. I heard people mentioning it all day long. Some emailed me back telling me how much it meant to them. Others tried to find ways around it so that we could have some normal conversations.

Me? I am the worst of the worst. And I'm not just saying that. I continually had to stop myself from saying snarky comments. But, I kept telling Cody that. So, it really wasn't much better. I figure that as many times as I had to stop my mouth, I am terrible! I am making snide commentary all day long and I need to work on this. Because I'm a little ashamed.

The book of James is not my favorite book of the Bible. Why? Because he yells at me! Chapter 3 (in my Bible) is entitled "Taming the Tongue." All I can say is 'Whatever!'

3:7 says, "All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison."

3:10, "Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be."

Yup, James yells at me and reminds me that I can not keep my tongue in check - without God.

James 1:26 "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."

I don't want anyone to see me and consider the Christ that I serve to be worthless because I am a gossiping witch.

Today was a good exercise and reminder for me. I'm going to pray that tomorrow I don't forget to be positive.

No comments: