Thursday, July 10, 2008

What a Woman Sees

I am reading Revelation right now ... decided that I wanted to start over on that book. Obviously a year's worth of study in one book wasn't enough for me. And it's not! There is so much that I don't know yet about this final book in God's Word.

Ok ... anyway ...

I got stuck on Revelation 1:12-16, the description of Jesus Christ - the son of man.

"I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone "like a son of man," dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance."

While I was reading this, I began to giggle a bit. I've also been reading the "Twilight" series by Stephenie Meyer. In it, a young woman falls for an absolutely gorgeous vampire. Meyer's descriptions of Edward Cullen (the vampire) are glorious! A reader can't help but completely fall in love with him. Throughout her books, she paints a picture of a young man that sparkles when sunlight falls on him, with smoldering eyes that are a liquid golden topaz, skin that is like marble, facial features that are perfect and angular, fingers that are slender, and a dazzling crooked smile.

It doesn't take long for Meyer to make the average woman fall completely in love with Edward Cullen. He is the perfect boyfriend, a gentleman in all ways, a protector, he is exciting and mysterious. I was originally quite astounded by the attention this series of books has received, but once I started reading them, I was quickly drawn into the story and the characters.

One of the things that we don't see in the Bible is a physical description of Jesus Christ. Many assumptions have been made regarding his appearance, but none of the Gospel writers felt that it was important to tell history what He looked like. The only time we get a description is when John sees Him in Revelation. And that image is like nothing we have seen on earth.

So if you were a writer and were trying to describe what Jesus Christ looks like, what would you say?

No comments: