Thursday, July 02, 2009

I'm NOT a Klutz or Amazon's Amazing Service

Ok, well, maybe I am.

Last night was a beautiful night at the cabin. Temps were gorgeous, birds were chirping, trees were swaying and making music in the breeze. Diane was reading on a bench on the screened in porch.

Sounds like a perfect time, right?

Sure ... why not. Until the moment I fell asleep with the Kindle in my hand and it fell out of my hand, hit a plastic chair and crashed to the concrete floor. Oh no! I picked up the pieces (the back fell off and the whole thing fell out of its leather case - nothing that doesn't usually come apart) and put it back together.

Hmmm, I need to restart. Well, that makes sense. Hmmm, it's not working right. Alright, I will take the battery out and do a hard re-set. I'm not an idiot (just a Klutz). Well, I tried it all evening and again this morning and nothing was going to make that thing work.

I hurried home this morning as quickly as possible and got to Amazon customer service. I admitted freely what I had done and asked if I had really and truly killed my Kindle. I was hoping that maybe there was a small rabbit they could pull out of the hat to return life to my heart and soul. But, alas, it was not to be. I'd killed it. Dead.

Before I could lament the passing of my Kindle, the customer service representative scanned my account and said, "Based on what you have here and your order history, I can offer you a replacement Kindle at 1/2 the original price."

My ears perked up and a little color returned to my cheeks. Really? Am I hearing this right?

I could barely form words as I said, "Yes, YES. YES!!!"

He wrote up the order, wrote an order for a return label for the old (dead) Kindle and as he began trying to explain how to re-download books to the Kindle, he said, "Oh, I'm sorry, it looks like you probably know what you're doing. If you have any questions, you can call us back."

So, he treated me with a little respect, took care of my needs as soon as humanly possible and did it all within a few minutes.

I guess if there is a company on the web that is going to own all of my information and probably my soul, I'll stick with the company that at least has great customer service!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love Amazon... They have always been so good with any questions I have. I know a few companies that should take some training classes from them! Oh, and I am truly sorry about your Kindle passing. I shall light a candle and hold a vigil! xoxoxo

Cayla said...

good for you! way to get it fixed expediently, too.
i'm the person who drops her cell phone and cracks the screen, then waits 5 months to get it fixed, by which time the phone is no longer under warranty and cannot be replaced.

yay Kindle!