Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tuesday afternoon randomness

I've been wandering around the net for a few days looking at random things and have these items to share with you.

There are a lot of things that scare the ever-living hell out of me. THIS would be one of them. I was not at all happy with the idea of the 'bird's-eye view' of the Grand Canyon and I can't imagine that I would be any happier with walking out onto a glass-enclosed deck in the upper levels of the Sears Tower. NOT happening! I'm pretty sure I would fall into a heap and have to be dragged away because none of my limbs would continue to operate.

My friend, April Kelly, has written a book on Gratitude Leadership. She was interviewed on WGN in Chicago the other day and it was a fabulous interview! I'm a little proud of her! Yes, it is very important to say Thank You, even when you are the boss! It's amazing what those two little words can inspire in an employee.

I think the bane of my existence while working at Faith-Westwood was meetings. Oh my goodness, but they could make a meeting last forever and turn it into a moment in hell. I'd never seen anything like it, but I'm also certain that we weren't alone in the preponderance of stupid meetings. So, if you would like to set a Meeting Cost Ticker to run on your laptop at the beginning of your next meeting, you might inspire them to cut things short before they reach the cost of the national debt.

The Codex Sinaiticus was completed last Monday and came fully online. It was discovered in 1844, and is the oldest Greek translation of the Scriptures. It has been spread out across the world since that point. Now, finally, scholars have access to all of the leaves of parchment. This is an incredible feat and very exciting to me. Oh my goodness, how cool the internet it!

I have always loved model trains. We were never in a position to actually start building a set, well, actually my brother made a stab at it at one point, but it never got to a point that he felt like it was worth his time and effort. The father of one of my high school boyfriends had a wonderful model train setup in their basement. I took Matthew to one in Golden, Colorado several times when he was really young. But, THIS one is just cool! Oh, I love this stuff.

That's enough for now. Yup, the internet makes me happy.

No comments: