Saturday, July 11, 2009

Not much to say, I guess

I was doing so well there for awhile. Maybe I've run out of words! Who knows.

The last few months have been wonderful. I've spent a lot of time at the cabin, I've prepared a few sermons, I've written a lot of blog posts on my other blog (Pour Out a Blessing), I've been singing with the worship team at Gretna UMC, I've rediscovered old friends and I'm working at rediscovering myself!

It's been a pretty wonderful summer so far and I see no reason it won't continue this way.

Yesterday was my sister, Carol's birthday. She bought her first house this year and finished her second year of teaching 6th grade. All I can say is - Yea Carol!

My brother has been tearing through construction at the cabin. We deconstructed a lot last year and things are starting to come back together again. It's nice to know that we are going to make this place better than it ever has been. It's just going to take some time and effort. much of the cabin was built in the 1970s and though I hate to admit that it might be old (I graduated in 1977 so be careful), there are a lot of things that need to be replaced and restored.

We bring in various people to do different types of work out there (plumbers, electricians, well diggers, etc.) and I can not believe the difference in attitude from central Iowa to Omaha. Prices are reasonable and fair, they are all gentlemen and treat me with respect, even though they are working with my brother long distance. I just have the capability to show up during the week and let them onto the property. I haven't been treated badly by any of them. That's impressive.

The first week we owned Insty-Prints, a billboard salesman was in talking to us when a customer walked in and ignored the three women owners, went straight to the salesman and tried to order printing from him. He was chagrined to say the least and pointed to us saying, "I have no idea what you're talking about, these are the owners." I get that attitude a lot from men and it's nice to not see it happening when I work with people at the cabin.

One of these days I will quit relaxing while I'm up there and take some photographs of all the work we are doing. My brother is posting some stuff on his blog (The Novel Coder). There's a lot that needs to happen to get it where we all want it to be, but it's going to be a fun summer!

No comments: