Saturday, October 06, 2007

Listening to God

I think that one of the things we have the most difficulty accepting is whether we are hearing from God or just making things up in our minds. I'm an old lady and I've been worrying about this as long as I've been a Christian. But, to be honest, more and more, I've been increasing in the confidence that I have in discerning whether or not I'm making stuff up.

You see, God is always consistent. Consistent with Scripture, consistent with telling others the same things and consistent in repetition with me.

For the last couple of months, from different sources, I have been hearing God tell me to turn off the television. Because this is probably one of my biggest addictions, I haven't been paying close attention to Him. But, it has been registering and stirring in my mind.

Then, this afternoon, as I was in the bathroom (I have discovered that is the quietest place around - no distractions. God and I spend a lot of time talking in there), I was talking to God about my lack of ability to memorize scripture. And plain as day, I heard "Turn the tv off." I promptly ignored it, figuring that I had made that up because of my guilt over this. But, I kept talking to God and with no warning, I heard "Turn the tv off."

Well, doggone it! I don't want to! But, I know that it is become quite apparent this is no longer an option. I'm not turning it off completely ... yet, but I will get rid of digital cable on Monday. I asked Max if that was going to be ok this evening when he came downstairs. His response, "Why wouldn't you?" Ok ... confirmation.

Lately, the television has not been on as much. It's been quite discretionary. There are a few shows that I really enjoy. I watch those and then it goes silent or off. We watch some football, Max loves baseball, so the playoffs are on, a Nascar race and then the television really doesn't interrupt my world so much anymore. God's been drawing me away from it for quite some time.

Do I believe He is asking me to remove all visual entertainment? No, not at all. But, you can barely understand my addiction. The television is on all the time! I use it as a distraction. When I don't want to think or my brain is lazy, I just let it run. Sometimes it's on in the background, but my back is to it and I'm not watching a thing.

I'm discovering that there might be a point where the television is no longer important in my home. I can actually watch most of my favorite shows on my computer. We'll see where God takes me on this one. Know that I'm completely desirous of being in His will, but at the same time, I am about as rebellious as one girl who loves her Lord can be! He has to talk pretty loudly to get me to pay attention to changes in things that I'm really addicted to. But, the good news is - He does speak loudly to me when I need to be listening and He causes me to be attentive to His voice.

My only task is to be attentive. I thrust myself into Scripture so that I recognize what He is saying when He speaks to me. And I know that the reason I need to turn off the television is because I need to spend more time in Scripture. When my friends tell me what they believe God is saying to them, I listen and I process. You see, God speaks to me in many ways if I choose to listen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also hear God telling me to turn off the tv and sometimes the radio {even thou I only listen to christian music} God tells me to put down my crosswords and to read the word. God has been strong with me on thsi matter. If I had my way cable would be gone also. But my husband won't get rid of it.
Janet

Diane Muir said...

Yah ... I think all God wants us to do is to have time for Him! The distractions can be many! Not just tv and radio, but all of the activities that I seem to be a part of. It gets a little intense! I think I need to find a good retreat center and hide for a weekend!

Anonymous said...

A retreat center sounds awesome. Just to be one on one with Jesus. I sometimes wish that I could turn off my mind and think about nothing else but JESUS.