Sunday, October 28, 2007

Blogger Sabbath - Whoa!

Cody takes a blogging Sabbath on a regular basis, but I'm not generally this bad!  Whew!  I apologize! This last week has been pretty crazy.  I wish that I could tell you that something absolutely entrancing had happened, but no such luck.  I've just been busy.  Sad thing?  This was the week the kids were on break, so I didn't have any commitment Wednesday night and the praise band didn't actually rehearse on Thursday night.  Two free nights added to my world.  What did I do with them?  Nothing terribly productive, let me assure you.  I went out to dinner.

Max and I took the new Director of Ministries out to dinner on Wednesday evening.  I figure if anyone is going to get to know me well, they had probably better get to know Max.  He is part of me after 13 1/2 years.  Thursday night I went out with Max and Leonard (Fran had to pay bills - blech).

I have been out and about every night this week and when I did finally get home after being gone all day, I was pooped!  So pooped that I didn't have any intelligent words to share with the world.  Consequently, no blogs.

The next paragraph of this blog is going to sound like a commercial, but I have just discovered one of the most anointed, coolest things ever!  The Bible!  Ok ... not really ... but ... well ...

I ordered "Inspired by: The Bible Experience" on CD last week and it entered my home Friday.  It is the most amazing thing ever. An immense cast came together to read the words of Scripture with passion and anointing. 

If you have 10 minutes - watch this video.  If you don't - come back and watch it later, you will be amazed!

I spent Friday evening listening to I, II, III John and Jude. Then I popped in the book of Romans.  Listened to it all the way through.  To hear someone read these words is simply amazing. I could hear Paul speaking as he was writing the letter.

Yesterday I was working on my Disciple study - we are wading through the law - Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.  But, as I listened to Moses talking to the Israelites in Deuteronomy, I heard it as I would hear a great sermon.  It was inspiring!  It was no longer a drag.  I opened my Bible to the passage I was listening to, and read along as I heard the words in my ears.

All I can say to you is: Get This!  There is such a different level of understanding that comes when you hear the Word of God rather than just reading it.

The early Jews and Christians didn't just read God's word. It was read to them over and over. It was told to them as stories and the letters of Paul were read out loud in the churches.  The stories of Jesus were told over and over again in homes as people gathered together.

You will notice that all of the actors are black.  I love that! There is more passion and yearning in these voices that most of us will ever feel or be able to voice. The talent of Denzel Washington, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Angela Bassett, Blair Underwood, Samuel L. Jackson becomes a vehicle for God's Word to be heard by millions.

Hear God's Word. Read God's Word. Let this become part of your very being. Whatever works for you to put the knowledge of the Word of God into your heart ... do it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for your wonderful comments. We have a widget on our website that you can add to your site found at www.zondervan.com/tbe on the right hand side. There are some audio clips that are available free only on our blog. Check them out--there's the Song of Songs clip being read by Denzel and Pauletta Washington and Esther being read by Angela Bassett. Enjoy and tell your friends! Have a great week!





Jean Wang

Zondervan

Internet Marketing Representative

Cleidisp said...

Hey!!!My blog is called Sabbath was ... what?
http://bloggersabbath.blogspot.com
I am from southern Brazil, you are Amaricano?
What do you expect the new president, Barack Obama ... here in Brazil, we wish the best of luck.
Bye