Monday, October 08, 2007

Making God Laugh

I hope that many of you are like me in that you believe the humorous moments in your life are shared by God. Sometimes I can practically hear Him laughing at me (or with me as the case may be).

I'll begin this story by referring you to my blog of last Saturday. "Turn the TV off!"

While His command to me was not about actually turning the television off, it was all about my obedience to Him and the fact that I am highly distracted by television. God really isn't asking me to give up the few shows that I find entertaining. What He is asking me to do is turn the television off when I'm just sitting on my butt and being a vegetable. And when I turn the television off, I know full well that the expectation is that I actually participate in a relationship with Him!

The reason for the command was simple. I was complaining about not being able to memorize scripture and God responded with a practical solution.

Well ... I had a very long day today - spent too many hours at the office. Max and I stopped at Jimmy John's for a sandwich and as he took Leica outside for a quick walk, I planted my stuff around my desk and saw he had brought the mail inside and laid it there for me to check. A bill and a package! Hmmm ... what's this?

I nearly fell off my chair, I began laughing so hard as I opened it. Here is the conversation that I had with Max as he came in the back door with Leica.

Diane: Max, do you know how funny YOUR God is?
Max: MY God? Why is He my God?
D: Because you’re the only one I know with a sense of humor as awful as this.
M: What happened?
D: You are never going to guess what just came in the mail?
M: What?
D: What big moment did I have with God this weekend?
M: Turn off the TV.
D: Well, I just got a Nielsen Media Rating survey in the mail.
M:


Yes, folks, I have a Nielsen Media Rating survey to fill out online this evening. Just at the point I am doing my best to be obedient, this shows up. Don't TELL me God doesn't have a sense of humor. And let me just reiterate, this is absolute confirmation of the command from Saturday. Because I honestly believe that sometimes God confirms His Word with a humorous event.

I love Him so much!

2 comments:

Jacqniel said...

God is a jokester, that is for sure. As always - I love your brain - or at least what comes out of it - lol. Hugs, Jacque

Anonymous said...

I love weiner dogs.. How adorable