Saturday, December 29, 2007

Ends and Beginnings

Today marked the end of yet another Greenwood. We met today in Clarinda, Iowa for my Uncle Art Greenwood's funeral. While it was quite sad knowing that I would never see him again while on earth, the joy surrounding his life was pretty awesome. Uncle Art was the epitome of a true servant. He spent his life helping others. He never had much, in fact Dad used to worry over the lack of business prowess that Uncle Art had. But, part of Uncle Art's biggest problem was the money would never get in the way of him helping someone who needed him. Two of his grandkids today talked of the generosity and love that he taught them through his actions. His friends talked about the fun that he had in life and the generosity of his life. He gave of his time, his life and anything else that he had.

The most important moment of the day for me, though was what the pastor, Andy Rubenking said about MY father. And I think he was glad to be able to say it to my sister and brother and me. He met dad at a Holy Spirit camp at Wesley Woods in the 1970s. Oh, I was there, too - they were awesome experiences. At the end of one week, dad prayed for Andy to receive the Holy Spirit and that changed his life and led him into the ministry. Eight months after listening to people how Dad's life had impacted theirs and had changed their lives, I am still hearing the same story and it gives me goosebumps. There is nothing more that Dad could have done for people than to pray for them and lead them to a closer walk with God. He was ensuring their eternity!

These are the stories that make me proud, in so many ways, to be dad's daughter. Dad didn't invent great things, he didn't pen great books, he didn't write great songs. He simply led people to God. All of those 'things' will fade away, but what Dad did will live forever! He gave people the opportunity to meet the Creator of this Universe and the encouragement to enter into a personal relationship with the Savior of the World.

I never want to cease hearing these things about my father ... and my mother. These are the stories that make their lives worthwhile. The stories of lives that were changed by God because of the influence of one person.

It makes me consider over and over again that the things I believe to be important are not. It is not important for me to be 'right' or to be thought of highly or to be wealthy, or to be popular. In fact, it isn't even important for me to lead worship or to write bible studies or be the Oracle or give good advice.

If I am not encouraging others to approach the throne of God with confidence, if I am not telling people about the Good News of Jesus Christ, if I am not praying constantly for people to know Him as their Savior, I am not fulfilling the purpose for which I am on this earth.

I am proud to be Frank Greenwood's daughter. Not because of who he was or what he did, but because of Who he pointed to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. And, for the record -- you are leading souls to Jesus EVERY day!
ap

Coire Bhreacain said...

That's interesting that your dad didn't think my father had much business prowess. That is why his business grew from two stalls in the back of a building into an entire half a block for his business, renting space to Uncle John and giving space to Grandpa when he retired from the ministry. I guess it's all in perception, and you're right - Daddy was a servant to all mankind.

Diane Muir said...

You're right and I probably said that wrong about him. It wasn't so much his business as it was the fact that Uncle Art would give that shirt off his back and tended to give away so much to anyone who needed it.