Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Weepy Old Aunt

Well, good heavens, but I'm not going to make it through Matthew's senior year in high school in good shape. This afternoon, Carol and I drove down to Lincoln to hear his high school select choir perform for an afternoon of Christmas carols. I was doing fine through most of it. He was so handsome in his suit, all dressed up. The group (Impact) sounded really good, a beautiful blend of sound. And ... it was Christmas carols. They also had a treble group and several soloists.

Then, four boys came out onto stage (Matthew included). These boys had learned a barbershop-type arrangement of "Go Tell It On The Mountain" by listening to a CD track and transcribing the music. They were awesome! What did I do? Cried through the whole thing. I thought I was safe. I had my back to the rest of the family and I was far enough away from Matthew that he wasn't going to be able to see me weeping away. Then, someone (Janet or Emma or someone) asked for my attention and I had to turn around to them all ... so that they could see my tear-streaked face. Jim just hugged me. I was so proud of Matthew!

My kids are growing up - and growing up nicely. Jacob is nearly taller than his father, Emma is a beauty and so outgoing. I love hanging out with these kids! I am going to thoroughly love hanging out with them as they grow into adulthood! Ahhh ... this is so fun. Honestly, I don't really miss being a mom when I have kids like this around. I am a fortunate woman.

No comments: