Friday, December 07, 2007

Too much on my mind ...

I should be sound asleep. I've been up for a long time today and it's been a very long day. I fell asleep about an hour ago, but then ... Max talked to me and woke me up. I'm still awake. Yikes!

This morning when I got up at 6:00, my computer gave me a rather distressing message ... the video driver was gone. Oh dear. But, I didn't have time to deal with it - we had to get in the car and get moving. Max and I got home about 7:00 pm and he started messing with it ... downloading new drivers, etc. Nothing doing. Well, there's a good reason for that. The video card was dead. Oh, for heaven's sake. Argh. So, I'm on the laptop at this point. Oh well. At least I have internet access, right?

It's actually been an insane day. I had a million things to do, met with a friend from long ago, then there was the Pizza and Poetry event in the Creative Suite over lunch, I spent time with the Conference Communications Director (Kathryn Witte), had a spontaneous meeting with other directors and the list didn't seem to end! I was a bit overwhelmed today. Thank heavens for a weekend.

Max got some interesting news today. CompUSA is closing the rest of their stores around the country. It's been acquired by an investment firm and they're closing down stores after the holidays. Good heavens, but I'm glad Max is at Omaha Public Schools and no longer in retail. And just so you know - I haven't seen him this happy in years. He loves his job! Oh, God is good.

I haven't spent any time writing about the events at Westroads Mall on Wednesday. In fact, it's been really difficult to process on the whole thing. It's impossible to really understand what happens to a young man that sends him over the edge and causes him to kill others while destroying himself. Oh, I fully understand depression and all of the mental breakdown issues, but I'm having a difficult time getting through this.

Families are dealing with intense grief, coworkers are confronting incredible loss, people are finding that there are a lot of connections between either the shooter and themselves or one of the victims and someone they know well. Omaha is a good-sized city, but it is still small enough that we are quite connected. How do we deal with the shock of having something like this happen so close to home? We wonder if we will ever be safe again. After the events of 9-11, living in safety is a sensation that seems to be an illusion.

I guess it puts our lives on this earth into perspective. 1 Peter 2:11 says, "Dear friends, I urge you as aliens and strangers in the world ..." That's exactly what we are. We will never be safe in this world. We don't belong here. Though it may seem trite and over emphasized, our home is in heaven - spending eternity with God.

How long do you suppose we have on this earth? Are you absolutely confident that you will be here tomorrow? Are you ready for eternity? Oh, I pray that you are. And please, if you don't think that you are ... talk to me. I want to help you gain that confidence!

No comments: