Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Snow Day!

Well, today was an official Snow Day for me. It's been years since I've had one of these with no guilt. I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself, so I ... slept until 11:00!!! Ok, now to be fair, I was up until after 1 am last night working and writing (yes, for work). My friend, Leonard called me at 6 am to tell me that UNO was closing until noon. I called work to ensure that it really was a snow day at 7 am and at 9:15, I was talking to Jennie to let her know that it was official. But, I did not crawl out from under the warm covers until 10:47 am, when my bladder began screaming for relief!

Poor Max had to go in to work, but it sounds like he had a really good day, so I don't feel too terrible about the whole thing. He assures me that he's had 7 months off and is more than happy to be working. Ok ... I can live with that.

I had recorded "Tin Man" from the Sci Fi channel (a 6 hour miniseries). What a fun show! I began watching some of that last night and watched the last four hours today. Then, since I had time, I watched the last 6 episodes of "Heroes".

I have to admit something about this. I was writing a study on "The Lord's Prayer" the entire time that I had these television shows playing. I know, I know ... this is just sick, but I have the absolute worst time doing only one thing at a time. If I'm just watching television, I have to be doing a few other things at the same time. I read my RSS feeds (blogs, news, etc.), I read my email, I check Facebook, I play online games and I'm generally chatting with someone on Skype at the same time. And while all of these things are going on, I've got internet windows and tabs open while I'm researching whatever topic I might be writing about.

No wonder I kill computers - I run the poor things to death.

I will be the first to admit that this probably isn't the best way to run my life. Multi-tasking is necessary in some areas - just so that I can get through my days, but it isn't necessary in all areas! In fact, it more than likely works to my detriment.

We'll see what happens with the Lord's Prayer study I'm writing. It's nearly finished - well, at least the work on it is nearly finished. It's all in long hand (I started it when I was computer-less on Sunday) and I tend to slow my thinking down when I write in long hand. I'll get it typed in tomorrow, add all of the references, flesh out a few things that need to be a little deeper and get it ready for proofing, approval and finally printing.

Since we are planning to focus on 'prayer' for 2008 at FW, there is a desire to see some things published about prayer. I can honestly tell you that no one else is going to take the time to ensure these things get written in a timely manner. It was a wonderful exercise for me these last two days. Really forced me to get fully into scripture again. This stuff just gets my juices flowing! I've missed being able to do this. I haven't had this much time alone since I started working in February.

Now, I just have to design a logo for the year "Lord, Teach Us to Pray", get some cover art created and pull the piece together. It's going to be a good year. I'm looking forward to it!

Tomorrow ... I'm back up at the crack of pre-dawn heading to work again. I'd like to say I was looking forward to it, but a person could get really used to working at home. I get an awful lot of work done when I'm here and I don't even have to get fully dressed! But, off I go ... I shouldn't be complaining ... I can't imagine anyone has a better job than I do ... I'm awfully fortunate!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see what you have written! I hope you plan on sharing soon.....?
ap