Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Exhausted

I have spent this last week really messing with my sleep schedule. And have I said lately that I HATE HEAT? I just turn into a wilted freak in heat. Consequently, my blogging has taken a back seat to lying around and feeling like doing nothing. On the other side of that, my office at work has become a refrigerator. We opened the vents in there (the former resident had taped them shut) and all of a sudden the temperature is near that of a meat locker. For me, it's awesome! If you come visit me, I will nearly guarantee that you will complain about the cold air. Everyone that has walked in makes a comment.

While I haven't been writing a lot, I have been thinking and discussing ideas in my mind. Oh ... and just so all of you know, I'm not sure that the study on death is actually going to happen. We'll see. At this point, there are some things that are not quite right with all of it - and I'm just not at a point in my life to spend a lot of time stressing about it! Anyway ...

Dr. Delp's sermon on Sunday was taken from Psalm 115 - "Not to us, O Lord. Not to us, but unto you be the glory." He asked me yesterday if I could tell him what the sermon was about. Yikes! I was put on the spot, but since he's never done that before, I wasn't too terribly threatened by it. He had talked about selfishness. The reason for asking was that a lot of people had commented (positively) about his sermon and he didn't think that it had warranted all of those comments.

But, it's funny. I've been thinking about this same topic. The entitlement that many of us feel in the world today. There is little to no sense of giving selflessly. We want to be sure that our children have the BEST of everything and they don't have to work for any of it. Parents will threaten the world if their children aren't handed everything that they ask for. Kids have no sense of discovery anymore because they know that anything they want will be given to them. Grandparents step in and provide when the parents can't afford it. Wealth has become more important to everyone than ever before. I listen to kids talk about getting degrees in marketing and in business. It's the predominant discussion. They want to simply make money and don't care how they do it. It is all about them!

Fortunately for my own level of sanity, there are always a few bright spots - kids that become involved in the world around them.

I have a lot to say on this subject, but for now, I think I'm going to spend some time in scripture. what God has to say about it is much more important and I believe it is high time we find out that the prosperity gospel is taught by men and not by God.

I also have a lot to say about the link between that effect and the loss of passion in our young people. When things come too easy, we find that we dont' have to work for anything - not even our relationship with Jesus Christ.

All of this is fodder for coming writings. Not today ... but, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! Get me stirred up! Get me going! Make me focus my thoughts. That thrills me.

2 comments:

Jacqniel said...

Ooooooo - I would HATE to be asked by Dr. Delp what the sermon was about! Even if I listened intently I know I would freeze the moment he asked me. Yikes! My rememberer is not so good at remembering. Hopefully the message will strike home, even if the content doesn't!

Jacqniel said...

I have tagged you for a meme at my blog page!