Saturday, November 03, 2007

Yah, Yah, Yah

I know I went away for awhile, but my weeks get so busy, I run out of words by the end of the day! Can you imagine that? Me! It happens.

I'm looking forward to today. It's a Saturday and I have claimed Saturdays as my Sabbath. I generally spend plenty of time at my desk or hanging out on the couch with Max. At my desk I might play a few computer games, but much of the day is spent reading scripture, working on my Disciple I study and exploring passages that I feel drawn to.

God's commandment on the Sabbath is something that I have really been convicted by this year. It doesn't hurt that as I'm reading the beginnings of the Old Testament, I find that God continually reminds us of this commandment. Over and over again, He commands us to set aside the day and make it holy. While you can justify your activities and actions any way you want, I'm choosing to try to re-learn what it means to be before God for an entire day.

What does it mean to make a day holy? Well, God rested on this day - so, I'm glad to be resting. My week is generally nuts. I spend hour after hour at work doing a million things and talking and listening to my friends. In the evenings, I generally have something going on and if there's not something going on, then I'm out to dinner with friends. I never get home before 9:00 and when the days are that nuts, I'm asleep by 10:00. Every single day of my week is like this. So, I rest.

Because of the insanity of my weeks, I don't have much time to read or study. I do make time at night to spend in prayer, but generally that prayer is pretty heavy - once I begin in intercessory prayer, God wipes me out and keeps me pretty active. So ... my scripture reading during the week is concentrated on where He and I end up. Saturday - I do my lessons and I just enjoy the quiet time!

There are just so many things about the Bible that I want to learn! This week I discovered that I want to learn about the sacrificial system that God prescribed in the Torah. The varying types of offerings that He commanded the people to bring before Him. It's an exercise in education - not a necessity for my salvation.

I want to understand prophecy - Old Testament, New Testament and what God expects and does now.

As soon as I can learn these things, I can begin to teach them. I love translating the process of Scripture understanding to people.

Max is upstairs - still asleep. The house is quiet. The dog is buried under a pile of blankets (the house is also cold - I refuse to turn the heat on - haven't yet!). I'm going to boil some water for tea, gather up some of my winter scents (candles with cinnamon, etc.) and start my day!

Thank you Lord for these days that I am allowed to rest in You! Bless this day, Lord ... keep me alert to Your presence.

No comments: