Sunday, February 24, 2008

Larry Norman ... You will be missed

Larry Norman died early this morning. For those of you that have no idea who he was ... it was because of him that we have Christian rock. He was often described as 'the father of Christian rock music.'

Long, blonde hair set him apart from the Christian musicians of the 60s and 70s. And so did his background in music and his choice of the style of music that he played.

The first time I heard him in person was in Colorado in Estes Park at a Christian Artists Music Seminar in the Rockies. 1974. He was the headliner act one evening in the large concert hall. My friend Devbra and I couldn't believe we were getting a chance to hear him in person. Well ... in person meant that we were so far away from the stage that we could barely see him, but we could definitely hear him! This was rock and roll at its best ... and loudest. For a couple of girls from small town Iowa, we were definitely being exposed to something new.

His influence is felt throughout the music industry - not just Christian music. He impacted many people throughout his life.

This is a great article from Christianity Today on the man who brought us some great tunes.

I suspect that Larry is having fun with the musicians in heaven now ... he taught a lot of us how to rock down here ... wonder what he's doing up there?!

Larry Norman ... you will be missed.

2 comments:

Jake said...

I landed on your blog reading the news about Larry's passing...It's nice to find out that a least two small town Iowan's heard of Larry..lol I have to admit that I cried when I heard the news. Hw influenced me as a musician and as a believer...Larry had a christain world view long before any one was tossing that term about. He will be missed.

Diane Muir said...

I cried too. I don't know if it was about another generation passing or the fact that I tend to cry at the drop of a hat these days or what ... but, it is painful to lose people we held before us!