Monday, February 04, 2008

Watching Movies

I wasn't at work today. I decided to stay home and win the battle with the cold. While it isn't over with completely, I am much better. I slept a lot! Crawled out of bed about 9:30 this morning, took a nap this afternoon and another this evening. It's good to be a slug!

However, in between naps, I decided to watch a couple of movies. Max and I are Netflix members now and I've had a few of these sitting around for over a week. Either watch them or send them back and try again another day. The reason I was holding out was that I knew I would become emotionally involved in them. I'd been warned by people who know me well. It's also difficult to find a lot of extra time for me and Max to watch a movie together. So ... I figured if he really wanted to watch them, he could tell me.

Pursuit of Happyness. Will Smith and his son, Jaden. Living a life of struggle while he tried to pull them out of it. You see, I'm betting that the real Chris Gardener and his son have strong lives because of what they had to deal with ... together. I could go on and on and on and on and on (ad nauseum) about the kids that I am around today who have a sense of entitlement and have everything given to them. A life of ease does not make for a healthy sense of self-worth. And any parent that thinks they need to give that easy life to their children because they didn't get it, doesn't get it.

Great movie ... I didn't cry as much as I was afraid I would and I'm glad I finally saw it.

Blood Diamond. I didn't weep and cry as much as I was afraid I would in this one either, but only because the shock of the movie wiped me out! One of the lines in the movie resounded with me, "Will God forgive us for the terrible things that we have done to each other?" Again, I see that the greed and wealth of Western nations feeds upon the poverty and then the hideousness of humanity. We should be ashamed. We probably are ashamed. But, we set the shame aside and move on with our lives, forgetting things that should never be forgotten.

Poor Max called me to ask what he should bring home for supper - right at the end of that movie. Right when I was an emotional wreck. I'm sure he thought I was nuts. I tried to explain what was happening in my poor psyche, but he was so far removed from it, he didn't get it. He wants me to process on supper and I'm not done processing on destruction.

So, I'll send these back to Netflix and I'm hoping that something a little less emotional comes next. (yes, I know I can organize my own list ... but, isn't a surprise worth something?)

No comments: