Monday, November 26, 2007

Much Too Quiet

Ok, I generally like Mondays. I get a lot of work done since 75% of the staff takes the day off. But, today? Today was much too quiet. And doggone it, I didn't get nearly enough work done. Bad, bad Diane. Looks like tomorrow will NOT be this quiet. Whoops!

After work, I picked Max up and we made a quick trip to Walgreens. I love that store. I can find nearly anything I need and if they don't have it, I can probably buy it online! (hehe)

I managed to set up a smallish contest at work - decorating the offices. So, I figure I better be prepared to compete a little bit. I picked up some lights and one of these evenings I will drag through my Christmas decorations and pull some out to take to work. Cody said he didn't care what I did to the office, just as long as I didn't make him do the work. Whee!!!

So ... I've been processing on some of the lessons that we've had in Disciple I. We are right in the middle of all of the I / II Kings readings. All of these kings "did evil in the sight of the Lord." They built asherah poles, objects of idol worship, raised up high places to worship idols ... on and on and on. The one thing that God had asked them to do - set themselves apart (be holy) - they just couldn't do. They couldn't separate themselves from the tribes, kingdoms, cultures that they were surrounded with. Oh for heaven's sake, the reason they wanted a king in the first place was because they wanted to be like everyone else. (I Samuel 8:19-20)

As we've been working through these lessons, I've found that it's really easy to ridicule these idiotic kings. One after another they followed the path of evil. How could they be so stupid? How indeed.

Until I begin asking the question: what are our idols? Materialism, jealousy, a need to promote ourselves, entitlement, anger and rage, judgmentalism, the list goes on and on. We try to set them aside, but the culture creeps in again and we have to face them all. I don't believe that Jesus Christ came to save me from my sins, and the way that I honor that is to desperately want a Nintendo Wii. Oh, good heavens! I simply fail miserably!

Do you really believe that you don't live with idol worship? Our culture is filled with it and we accept it as the norm. It's time to reject what we know to be evil ... how will you do that?

No comments: