Saturday, November 03, 2007

Pivotal Praying

I just finished reading "Pivotal Praying" by John Hull & Tim Elmore. Oh my goodness! Reading this book did numerous things to me and for me. I cried several times as I read the stories of changed lives and answered prayers.

But, it's also a book with practical application. I've read numerous books on prayer. Numerous books! Dr. Delp had asked me for some ideas of authors and study books on prayer. I walked into the office last week with two large stacks of books and as we were looking through them, my comment was "Obviously, I've never felt confident that I know how to pray." I kept looking for the book that would teach me how to pray.

I've found it. This book is inspirational - there were so many stories of contemporary individuals as well as biblical characters. The authors aren't afraid to tell you stories of how people have failed in prayer either. But, they teach that sometimes we learn our best lessons when we fail at what we think is the right way to do something. I was astounded at their personal stories of growth through prayer.

But, I loved the training they offer in praying. For instance, there were three questions that should be asked when waiting for an answer to prayer. 1. Does God want to do something different? 2. Does God want to purify my motives? 3. Does God want to change me or stretch my faith? Thinking through these things while I wait for God, no matter how long it takes can change my prayer life!

And, how healthy leaders pray:
1. They express submission
2. They express the fact that they're seeking.
3. They express surrender

It is never about me ...

I've already promised my copy of this book to a friend. But, you have to get this! As I was reading, I finally said to God, "I'm reading through this quickly - PLEASE anchor some of these truths into my heart today." I want so many people to read this book. Learn how to pray. Be inspired by answered prayers. And then? PRAY!

No comments: