Saturday, November 10, 2007

Never enough words?

Who'd've thought. Diane ran out of words. Honestly, sometimes it exhausts me to come up with something creative after spending hours being creative. Make sense? Probably not.

I taught at the 6:00 worship service tonight. I love doing this, it's really a fabulous outlet for my teaching. But, it drives me crazy. Ok, I drive me crazy! I've been thinking about this for the last 2 weeks. I started writing Thursday morning and figured that I would have plenty of time to get the writing done before tonight. Thursday became insane and I ran out of time. Then, Friday was here. I knew I was leaving early - after a long week, I didn't need to just hang out ... and everyone was gone. I'd gotten a lot of work done on Thursday so I knew that I might have some extra time available to me for writing on Friday.

Well, it didn't happen. I made no plans Friday night, in fact, Max left to go out with a friend for dinner, so I even had the house completely to myself. I started processing ... nothing more.

Yikes! I woke up in the middle of the night and cancelled some plans I had for Saturday morning (I love email). Then, I was awake at 8:30 this morning knowing I had to focus. I was at my desk trying to come alive and concentrate.

And just in case you are curious ... I was praying through all of this. I'm not a stupid girl.

Now, I don't preach ... I teach. And if I'm going to teach, I definitely need to have the Bible open in front of me. But, I kept avoiding it. Again, that seems insane, right? Well, you see ... I lost my glasses earlier this week. I have absolutely no idea what happened to them. And I knew that I wasn't going to be able to easily read my Bible without them (stop laughing at me).

Finally I just pulled the Bible out and opened it up. And, really, I could not read it without focusing really hard on the words. I was frustrated. I was getting up to reach for the lamp. I wanted to pull it down from the top of my desk to the desktop so that I would at least have good light to read by. Just at that point, Max came downstairs and saw what I was doing. I whined a little bit, and he promptly pulled his glasses off the top of his head and handed them to me. He went back upstairs for another pair for himself. What a guy.

But, whew! I could finally read! Let's just say ... I have a new pair of glasses by this point. His were much too strong for me. I also purchased some magnifying bookmarks for my Bible and my purse. This will never happen to me again! (again, stop laughing at me!)

I have decided, though, that I must be a moron. I am so dense. Over and over and over again, when I am trying to write these lessons to teach, I find that I can't get anything written as long as I'm concentrating on the finished product. As soon as I give up and relinquish control ... God gets a chance to work through me and with me to teach a lesson that needs to be told. And, as soon as I did relinquish ... the writing began to flow. I was done within a couple of hours and then I had time to read through it and prepare.

Tonight I taught a lesson on holiness. I'm not sure that the entire thing will work for a blog ... but, if I get some extra time, I might try to condense it. We'll see.

It's late ... I need to sleep. Tomorrow is another busy day. I didn't really get my Sabbath day this week and that doesn't make me happy. I rely on those quiet days so that I can approach the busy weeks. Oh well ... Good night!

No comments: