Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thank You, God

When we were growing up, dad's contribution to the Thanksgiving meal was simple ... 5 kernels of corn. Some years we faced seed corn, some years it was cooked sweet corn, in later years his sweet tooth took hold and we got candy corn. Before we ate the meal, we had to go around the table and give thanks ... 5 times. I didn't like eating the seed corn and was very thankful to get to the candy corn, but I never complained about having to come up with something to be thankful for.

This year, I'm thankful for:

my parents. They are both gone now, but the legacies that they have left in my life are incredible.

my husband. Max is truly unique and has made me awfully happy for 14 years. I'm a fortunate woman.

my family. This has been a tough year, but the three of us kids (my sister Carol, my brother Jim) and our families have never fallen apart as a family. I don't spend nearly enough time with my niece and nephews, and I miss them, but these are my favorite people in the world. We are all confident in our faith and that only makes getting together for holidays that much more exciting.

my job. God has blessed me in such a fabulous way. I have the best place to work. I've waited for a lifetime to get to this place, and here I am. I can hardly believe that I work in a situation where my faith is actually lifted up and I can encourage multitudes of people in their own faith.

my animals. I know, I know ... but these little warm things (Leica the dog, and Ichabod the cat) fill up a lot of places in my world and make my home a fantastic thing to come home to.

my friends. This list continues to grow as God brings new people into my life. I won't be able to name them all one by one, but I am so grateful for the chance I get to continually explore new thoughts and new things with them.

my mind. God has given me a sense of curiousity and an appetite for learning. And when He did that, He also gave me a world to be curious about and and infinite things to learn about.

my music. I know that it is a God-given talent, but I'm thankful for it. I love playing and singing and using my talent in different ways.

my worship. I could say - my worship band, but it's not mine ... we're all together. This has been an enormous gift of grace to me. I have always loved singing in worship, but all of a sudden I'm singing with this incredible group of musicians.

my church. God is moving in this church and the leadership is not only open to it, but encourage it.

the Bible. Can you believe that we have this book? I mean, really? The Alpha and the Omega ... gave us words to help us understand His purpose, His design and His laws for our lives.

prayer. Again, can you believe it? We have the opportunity to communicate with the Creator.

my Savior. I don't deserve it. All that He did. To ensure my eternity.

my God. I was created by the Lord of Lords, God of Gods ... to be here right now. In this place, in this time.

This was a lot more than 5 things. And this is just a few of the things that have lit into my mind right now. I am truly grateful.

No comments: