Saturday, March 29, 2008

Saturday night

It's still Saturday night - at least when I start this. By the time I post, it will be Sunday morning. I have done absolutely nothing worth anything today. I have been an incredible slug and my brain hasn't really been engaged at all. The most difficult thing I did this day was to order Chinese food for supper.

Cyclical. That's what my body is and right now I am obviously at that point where I am unable to easily handle an overload of information and/or stress on my brain. Yet, what has been required of me at work this week? Exactly that ... an overload. Now, what I'm about to say will sound incredibly like whining and I suppose it is. In fact, as I ponder ... I'm certain that it will sound like whining. And because I am my father's daughter, it occurs to me that it is best left unsaid.

Suffice it to say, I nearly brained a waitress last night because she ignored our table for an outlandish amount of time. Well, that is quite the overstatement. But, I was actually at the point of giving her a good tongue-lashing. Only the presence of my friends and husband caused me to rethink my position on that.

Hmmm ... and it was a short week as well. Good thing for me that I didn't actually work on Monday or by Thursday evening, I would have been murdering (in my mind of course - goodness, this stuff is on the internet - what am I thinking making these types of statements?) the petty annoyances that entered my world.

But, I've been around the block enough (I've been reminded a lot lately of exactly how old I am - and twice now, my boss has thought it hilarious to bring it up ... he might have to be next on the 'list) to know that this is absolutely part of the cycle of life. I go through periods of time on a regular basis where things that normally don't bother me at all drive me batty!

I have always been able to work continuously through distractions. I remember the first time that I realized my ability to do that. I was in jr high and was practicing with soloists for state contest. As I was playing the piano, people were talking around me, playing multiple instruments in the room and several would be playing on the same piano, albeit different songs. At one point, the director walked into the room, saw what was happening and brought it to my attention that it wasn't normal to be able to focus on a single song with all of that other insanity occuring around me. Hah ... I just did what I had to do to finish the task! That was the first memory I have of being able to multi-task with chaos begging to permeate my concentration.

As I've gotten older, though ... that impermeable membrane around my consciousness gets battered as hormones fly around. So ... when too many people beat at the door all at the same time, I need more quiet time to recuperate. Reality? My psyche will get itself back to normal in a day or so and I'll be back to handling multiple tasks, conversations, meeting and insanity flying at me within a short span of time.

Now, though ... since I've done nothing productive today - it's after midnight and I'm still a little wired. Hmmm, I should probably at least try to go to sleep. Reading is supposed to put me to sleep, but right now the books that I'm reading - even the supposed 'boring' New Testament textbook actually interests me and doesn't put me to sleep. Hmmm ... will 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' do it?

No comments: