Friday, June 18, 2010

One more time - Change is good!!!

This morning I woke up at 4:22 and couldn't go back to sleep.  Well, I finally did, but it took awhile.  During that time, my mind began wandering around random thoughts and I was able to focus on one ... change.  Yes, I am going to write about change one more time and it probably won't be the last time. 

You see, I really believe that we have to constantly be transforming, changing, adapting so that we can be actively growing.  So ... I think about change a lot.

The other day, I wrote a blog about beauty.  We do not hear often enough that we are beautiful to other people.  In fact, I would guess that we don't hear often enough that we are important or interesting or bright or needed or funny or fun or ... anything!  There are never enough positive things said to us by those we hope to hear from. 

I'm reading an interesting book right now: Fascinate: Your 7 Triggers to Persuasion and Captivation by Sally Hogshead.  She talks about seven triggers that help us to influence others.  As members of the human race, we've been using these for eons.  It is what draws couples together to propagate the species, and these days the triggers are used in marketing to draw us in to purchasing a product.  But, these triggers also take us into our relationships.  As we evoke fascination from others - they react to us.

But what do we do when we don't feel as if people are fascinated by us, when we don't get responses from those around us that build us up and cause us to feel good about ourselves. 

This all seems very self-motivated, but I believe that change is important in these situations.  Over the last year, I have made some radical changes in my life and have received a lot of positive reaction.  You know what?  That simply makes me want to continue to change!  I like the positive reinforcement.

Maybe you don't need to make radical changes ... what about something a little simpler?  Most women know that if they change their hairstyle completely, people will take notice and comment. If it is a well-done style, it will bring positive comments.  Why shouldn't you make that type of change.  But, trust me, if it's too subtle, no one will recognize the change - don't be disappointed.

I have gotten more positive comments on a pair of $8.00 eyeglasses than I could have imagined.  I'm not crazy, I'll make that type of a change again!

Change your wardrobe a little bit.  Add something that is crazy different than what you usually wear.  People will notice.

What I guess I am saying is, if you feel like no one notices who you are or cares whether or not you show up in a room, make a few changes.  Maybe it's superficial, like hair, glasses or clothing.  Maybe it's a choice that you make to smile when you encounter people, maybe it's time for you to begin complimenting people rather than taking the snarky, negative path in a conversation. 

Make some changes, become someone better than who you are right at this moment.  Make change a normal part of your life.  Then, enjoy yourself!!!

No comments: