Saturday, June 12, 2010

Silence and High Energy

It seems I should have tons to say tonight, but wow, I must be tired.  Can you blame me?  Well, you can blame Carol.  I just spend a few hours in the same room with her and I'm pooped.

When I'm at the cabin, things are VERY quiet.  I mean, VERY quiet. There are some birds singing and making noise, lots of insects, sometimes I hear a loud vehicle as it traverses the road, but for the most part, things are quiet.

Last night, Carol and her friend Dave came up to do some mowing and just relax, I suppose.  They have a weird way of relaxing.  I kind of knew what time they were coming in, so I thought I was prepared.  Not so much.

Before I knew it, an explosion occurred.  It was like a tornado let loose with all of its power and tossed energy everywhere!

Because it's so quiet and the mornings come so early, I tend to go to sleep early and wake up early.  Well, last night I was still reading at 1 am and this morning, my body wanted to wake up at 5:45.  I forced myself to remain quiet, because I knew those two believed in late wakeup calls ... I'm fine with that.

We stayed up late watching a movie (there's nothing like a good 80s flick - Wargames), eating cookies, attempting to eat my very dense (not so successful yet) sourdough bread and jabbering away like those birds that wake me with the dawn.

Poor Carol was so tired she finally crawled into bed, but she wasn't done talking so she kept going until I finally told her to just turn it off and sleep ... and she did.

They got some mowing done last night - before the glorious early morning thunderstorms hit, so this morning as I sat on the porch, quietly reading while they slept, the rain came down and the place looked wonderful.

It's fun sharing a quiet space with lots of energy, but I'll go back and be glad for a return to silence. And I'll chuckle a little because both of those things are such a part of who I am.

No comments: