Monday, August 18, 2008

Obsessed with the Bible

I read an article (Cult prayed for lifeless boy's resurrection) on cnn.com this morning. It saddened me.

But, these words from the mother of the girl caught up in this cult spoke volumes to me and saddened me even more, "My daughter was very religious. She was into the Bible -- obsessed with it," Khadan-Newton said. "They (were) going to show her the right way. She got sucked into it."

The gist of the story is this: A cult in Maryland starved a little boy because he didn't say "Amen" after a meal. Then, they prayed for his resurrection. Well, decomposition happened first. The young mom of this boy has been arrested, as have the cult leaders, for murder. Her mother says that she has been brainwashed. Of course she has.

The implication that being religious and being obsessed with scripture leads to cult-like behavior is appalling to me. Yet, that is what happened. This young girl was searching for meaning and the cult offered her more than anyone else had up to that point. Who decides what is right when it comes to interpretation of scripture and intentions of God?

I don't like these stories. They cause me to consider just where I put my belief structure. Jesus told us the truth would set us free. But, sometimes mankind sets down a limited interpretation of truth and builds prisons - in fact and in our minds.

Do we limit religious freedom because we are concerned about abuses? Because that rabbit hole can lead to incredible persecution based on individual leader's interpretation of abuse.

I don't like these stories. My initial reaction was of horror. I believe I'll quit thinking about it and leave it with that initial reaction.

No comments: