Saturday, August 30, 2008

All in all, a good day

This will go down in history as one of those days where nothing spectacular happened in Diane's world. Oh sure, Barack Obama delivered a fabulous talk last night, John McCain announced his VP choice as Sarah Palin, the Gulf States are worried about Gustav's landing, but in my little corner of this world today, it wasn't spectacular. Just really good.

I finished my last tasks for the church today. I'm a free woman. Now my time is all my own - to decide what to do and when to do it. I celebrated with a little picnic in the backyard while watching Leica chase smells. That was a pretty fabulous half hour. I watched a monarch butterfly flitting from bush to bush and a dragonfly skittering around the lawn. I took a few moments to enjoy the breezes and thank God for this life He has given me.

Max got home from work and though he was tired and in need of a nap, we just sat here and chatted about all of the things going on in the world and in our lives. Tomorrow we move our computers into one room and I'm going to figure out how to have him in my space fulltime (ok, every evening). As the evening wore on, I realized I was hungry, so we went to the Greek Islands and had a terrific meal, stopped at Walgreen's (now I have chocolate in my world again) and came home.

I've been pulling stuff out of my desk this evening and hauling the empty drawers upstairs. I suspect I just woke poor Max up as I dragged two drawers at a time up the steps. Ok, I thought I could be quieter than that. I was wrong. I giggled all the way up as the handles clanged back and forth on the drawers and I continued to bang them into the steps. Whoops! Bad idea. Maybe I shouldn't be doing that stuff at 1:30 in the morning. Maybe I need to recognize that the entire world doesn't exist in the same time frame that I do.

I discovered a fun new series from British television: Doc Martin. What a hoot! A top thoracic surgeon from London developed panic attacks at the sight and smell of blood and the smell of cauterized skin. He decides to take a General Practioner position in a village in England. His encounters with the people - well, their encounters with him lead to wonderful plot lines. The final episode of the first season showed him finally kissing the woman that he had been eyeing all season long. His words to her after the kiss were in regard to her bad breath. I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Maybe it's the chocolate, maybe it's the excitement of getting things moved around tomorrow, maybe it's the peace of spending time alone with Max this weekend. I am not sure what it is, but today has been a good day. Ahhh ...

No comments: