Thursday, September 18, 2008

And they were singing...

Bye, bye Miss American Pie ... drove my Chevy to the levy and the levy was dry. Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye, singing "this will be the day that I die. This will be the day that I die."

So, I had a great start to the evening. I took Matthew to Panera to help him study a bit for his Old Testament Survey test that happens tomorrow. We both enjoy it. I got home and hmmm ... weird, the dog is downstairs. She has been limping the last day or so, wonder why she's not upstairs with Max.

"Max? Have you let Leica out?"

"Yup, about 5 minutes ago."

Hmmm ... so why aren't you back upstairs with him? Maybe your leg hurts. Ok, I'll bundle you under one arm, grab my Iced Chai and Max's supper and we'll head up.

When I hit the top of the steps, I should be able to look into our 'study' and see Max at his desk. He wasn't there. He wasn't in the bathroom. I know that I just talked to him. Where is he? I put Leica on the floor and stepped up two more steps, looking for my husband. Not finding him. This is weird.

I walked into the study and there were strange noises emanating from it. And I found him, kneeling on the floor with my computer case open and the entrails strewn across the floor. He looked up at me.

"I'm so sorry! I walked past on my way to the bathroom and as I walked, I watched the screen go black. Something has happened and I can't get it to move past this (and he showed me a strange bootup screen) screen."

Guhreat ... of course! Well, it's not his fault and he feels terrible. Fortunately, all of the things that I am writing are also contained on a flash drive. He worked for a few more minutes, told me that he needed to order a mother board and we powered up the laptop.

Argh! I am not kidding you when I tell you that every 3-6 months something weird happens to my computer! The worst thing is, I'm fairly picky about how I want my desktop, email and browser window to look and act. I personalize these things immediately. So ... every 3-6 months, I end up reworking a computer. You'd think I would have it down to a science. I pretty much do.

What I love about myself is the trust that I put in each new computer setup. 'Surely this is going last a couple of years.' And I start building my little onboard nest. Then, whoosh ... it's gone again.

A girl could begin believing that God is trying to teach her about the impermenance of life.

No comments: