Thursday, September 11, 2008

I totally love geeks

I am an unrepentant geek fangirl. There it is. I totally rock on geeks. I read Wil Wheaton's blog religiously, not because he acted in Star Trek: The Next Generation (but, that started my adoration), but because he loves all things geek. I love playing Dungeons & Dragons. I love comic books (graphic novels), I love science fiction and fantasy. I love that people were freaking out over the LHC (Large Hadron Collider). Gadgets and computers totally fulfill me. The best thing about being old is that I was reading Asimov and Frank Herbert before most of the geeks around today were even born.

I was just reading Wil Wheaton's blog and he was playing D&D with some friends who happen to write comic books. Argh! I'm just glad I wasn't in the room. I would have totally embarrassed myself with my mouth open until I drooled. I linked off his blog from one thing to the next and started looking through pictures on flickr and giggled as I read the t-shirt of one of the geeks from Wizards of the Coast (producers of all things D&D), I read "I spent my reward on ale and whores" with a picture of a drunken dwarf lying underneath the words. I laughed and laughed and realized that I simply love these guys. I'll never meet them - they all live in California. They'll never know that there is this old lady in Omaha, Nebraska that lives out her inner geek self through all the wierd things that happen in the world.

God knew that I was like this. Oh, for heaven's sake, I never hid it! I was on the internet back when Al Gore was creating it! And God found a geek just for me. It's a good life I lead.

No comments: