Saturday, February 07, 2009

It never stops

I couldn't fall asleep, so I came into the study to look at some Greek, thinking that would wear my eyes out enough. It didn't, but that's another story.

I heard a bump and a crunch, but not enough to make me think it was a car wreck. We hear a lot of those on Leavenworth - people don't like a lot of things about this part of the street. They don't like 55th & Leavenworth because they want to turn north and cross traffic. Boom! They don't like the T that we are on, because they are constantly trying to turn across traffic to go west. Boom! And at 52nd & Leavenworth, they refuse to accept that people are going to either stop at the light, turn left at the light or turn right to go into the dry cleaners. Boom! We hear a lot of screeching around here. Both Max and I tend to hold our breath, hoping to hear no Boom!

There is nothing worse than the Boom and the hideous crunching of a car getting smooshed.

This time there was some weird crunching and dragging, but no boom and no screeching. I just figured it was a truck dragging something and didn't pay any more attention. I went back to translating an awesome paragraph about a farmer named Dikaepolis who is Athenian, but doesn't live in Athens. Rather he lives in the country and works as a farmer. He works too hard and the farm doesn't provide very much. He works long hours and groans and complains at Zeus.

whoops ... anyway ...

Then, I heard more activity out front. This time I went into the bedroom to investigate. The window is open, so sounds, of course, are louder. Yup, a tow truck was loading a mini van and the police car was flashing blue/red, blue/red, blue/red. I'm glad I hadn't been in there earlier, I would have been frustrated by the flashing.

It's gone now. It's 3:30 am. We're hoping to go out and shoot some pictures later today. I probably ought to try to get some sleep or I'm going to be very grumpy.

No comments: