Friday, February 13, 2009

Snow Day!

Well after the stress of last night, today was awesome!

Alright, here's the deal.

Last night when Max and I got home from dinner, he discovered a chewed up bunch of Trident gum on the floor. Leica had gotten into a drawer and managed to get to the gum. Trident gum has Xylitol in it and this is pure poison for dogs. It lowers their blood sugar and can do massive liver damage, put them in comas and even kill them.

I knew about this, so was pretty careful of where I left gum. Not careful enough. I forget that dogs are about the equivalent of 2 year old children. I called the emergency clinic and they encouraged me to bring her right over. Though she was showing no signs of distress, the last thing I wanted to do was wait until it was too late. Max and I got back in the car and headed out. I had to leave her so that they could induce vomiting, monitor blood sugar levels and flush her system.

We came home. I was told that they would know more after midnight. Since I'm generally up, that would be no problem. I didn't hear anything at midnight, gave it some more time and finally just called them. She was doing fine. They had discovered several pieces of gum in her belly and her blood sugar level was pretty good. They would keep her all night to ensure she was fully flushed and fully rehydrated. Whew! Time for bed.

The only problem with that was that when I crawled into bed, there was no Leica to greet me. I haven't slept without her since we got her! I don't know that I've ever been a part from her over night. Wait. There was a staff retreat in Columbus. Ok. Once. I didn't like that either.

Between not having her there and feeling relief at the fact that she was ok, I just started to cry. I tried to stay quiet, but failed. Poor Max didn't want to ask me though if she had died. He just worried quietly on his side of the bed.

But, he woke up early and took off to get her and bring her home. He got her home by 6:50 this morning while I was still asleep. I heard her come flying up the steps and look around for me. I called her name and she dashed down the hallway, through the bedroom and into bed with me. We spent a little time hugging each other while we both relaxed. All would be fine.

I did get up (had to go to the bathroom) and checked email. Whee! OPS had a snow day. However, when Max is designated staff, so he went to work anyway. He did call at 11:30 to tell me that he was being sent home. What? Are you kidding me? WHEEE!!! So, I asked him to pick up lunch AND dinner while he was out. Two favorites for me. PepperJax for lunch (can I hear an AMEN?) and Jimmy John's for supper. Yup ... I'm addicted to takeout and when I can get a day with my favorites brought to the house ... it's a WIN day!

I love days when plans get set aside for freedom. We had a nice quiet afternoon - even got a nap. It was nice to crawl back in bed with everyone! (that means the dog, folks)

This evening we watched 4 episodes of LOST (about the only television show we actually watch together) and will be heading to bed soon.

Today was a good day. My dog is fine, my husband was home, the snow is beautiful, everyone was safe. A good day for me.

What a treasure.

No comments: